This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Jason's Tank & Setup

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jason King, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    7:27 AM
    Hello

I'm starting this journal for a few reasons, one being to show the progress of the build and the other reason is to generate as much help & feedback from you guys as possible.

I've decided to close down my other tanks once this project gets to the planting stage so ill be concentrating on this one tank only.

The new tank will measure 1200mm L X 600mm D X 450MM H (48"X24"X18") - 324 Litres / 85 US Gallons

This will be my biggest tank yet so I've decided to try a few new things such as a wet & dry instead of having two canister filters.

Stage 1 - Design and build a wet and dry filter (i'm use to canisters)

Stage 2 - Design and build a Cabinet

Stage 3 - Order the custom aquarium, drill or overflow?

Stage 4 - Overflow and plumbing

OK the first stage is the filtration, i have a 600mm L X 450mm D X 300MM H (24"X18"X12") - 84 Litres / 21 US Gallons tank that's not being used so i was hoping to use this for the filter.

here is the first revision of the filter design, comments are welcome :D

QOmIXVG.jpg

i have a few questions im not 100% sure about

what size pump?

what size plumbing?

should i also add the 2x heaters?

integrate the co2 into this design?

all your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have a very similar system to this on my tank.

Your inlet pipes only need to come down just below the surface of the water in that section -- if they go too deep, it's harder for air to clear out of them, they will be noisier and lower flow. The size of the plumbing might depend on what style of drain you use from your overflow. I use a Herbie system -- it's dead silent and simple.

Heaters could go vertically in your intake section, or underneath the wet/dry media. You dont really need the foam after the wet/dry section, all your mechanical filtration should be done before wet/dry.

Your CO2 reactor can either be on your return line (might reduce your return flow, but a lot of people do it successfully), or a separate small pump loop coming out of the sump, returning to the intake of your return pump.

3. Jason King

Local Time:
    Thanks for the image, it looks exactly what I have in mind.

For co2 I'm thinking off using a small pump from the sump into a reactor then back into the sump, which I think is what your picture is showing?

What size heaters x2 would you recommend for this size tank?

As the sump is 450 depth I can have them both side by side in the return section from front to back.

4. Jason King

Local Time:
    For the over flow should i go for herbie or bean or?

Regarding the return..

Do you guys use jets/ nozzles or would I be OK using a full length spray bar from the back to the front?

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    I'd definitely invest in a adjustable speed pump Jason, if you get the flow wrong you can up or down the speed. Lot more money, but I've found myself switching speeds to see what works.

6. Jason King

Local Time:
    Thanks Dennis.

Would a valve after the pump work in the same way?

And is the 10x canister flow rule still valid with sumps? So in my case for a 85gallon I need a pump that's 850+

7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Yeah I believe a valve would work the same way. I don't believe in using a turnover rate ratio, nowadays I pumped as much flow as possible into the tank and adjust the co2 accordingly. Right now my tank is at the highest speed it can go. Saved my lotus blossom.

8. Jason King

Local Time:
    The eheim universal 3400 pump I'm looking at is rated at 3400lph my tank will be 320l, will this do the job?

9. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I do not know Jason sir. Anyone?

10. Jason King

Local Time:
    Has anyone used jebao dc pumps? Or recommend any other makes.

Thanks

11. Jason King

Local Time:
    Christophe what is the width of the first section of your sump for the inlets?

Thanks

12. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My sump overall is based on a standard 29 gallon tank, 30"x12"x18.5". The inlet section baffle is at about 6", the volume of that section is a bit over 5 gallons.

My tank volume is a bit less than yours, 72 gallons, with the sump volume, the total system volume is just over 300L. I'm using a Sicce Syncra 3.0 as my main return pump, rated for 714GPH. All of my plumbing is 1"

Reef Central has a very good head loss estimator that considers a lot of different pumps by name * model --

13. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
    Jason,

First I recently setup a very similar tank made by Deep Blue It's their "80 Frag" model except for the height, theirs is 16" tall and it has a "high clarity glass" front panel... Check it out:

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/edge.html

I'm very happy with my Rio pumps, I'm using this 840GPH Model, mostly because I'm running a Rex-Griggs with it + I split the outputs using a Loc-line splitter...

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-14HF-HyperFlow-Water-Pump/dp/B000BJK3UW

I'm using a 1" return & 3/4" for the outflow...

I'm using a Rex-Griggs made by NilocG.com he will custom make it for you. based on your needs, he's been selling two models depending on the size of your tank and how much CO2 you're injectiong...

As far as the sump... The cheapest route IME is Modular Marine on Ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/modularmarine?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

He cuts quality acrylic inserts based on your tank size, as far as sumps you want to go taller as opposed to longer because of space constraints under your tank, almost anything can work with some planning ahead... Use this to calculate the minimum size:

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/SumpSizeCalculator.htm

Hope this helps!'

I'm happy to answer any questions based on my experience...

14. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
    PS the Modular Marine suggestions requires you to already have the tank and of course glue the acrylic yourself... when you realize that premade sumps for that size tanks run $200+ DIY sounds really appealing... All in DIY will come in at less than half the price of a ready to use acrylic sump...

15. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Cheap for adjustable, I got mine for about a bill, i heard they crap out after a year, I will let you know. I have a DC6000. Run it at full speed.

16. Jason King

Local Time:
    Thanks both.

@sukrol

Thanks for tips, unfortunately I'm in the UK so some options will need to be ordered within the UK due to import charges.

I've decided to go with a bean animal overflow due to the fail safe option and will be using 1" pipes and for the out I'm thinking of a 3/4 spray bar? but need to research this part more.

To be honest the height of the tank I have available 12" was a concern, so I'll look into another option 18"+ that allows me to maximise the space I will have available in the cabinet.

I'm thinking 30Lx18Dx18H leaving enough space (18") for any other equipment, co2, Dosing bottles etc

If I add another small section to the sump will I be OK adding other options such as purigen?

17. Jason King

Local Time:
    Thanks Dennis, the 6000 was the model I was looking at and half the price of a eheim,

I heard they are quiet?

18. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    They are very quiet until you run low in your sump, then you hear the air gargling. They automatically shut off if there isn't enough water. So far my experience is really good. But I'm iffy since I heard they go out and are made in china.

19. Jason King

Local Time:
    Just been reading some reviews and as you said people are really happy with them in the first year, I take it there guaranteed for one year only or not at all?

Ill keep reviewing some other makes and models, iwaki also keeps coming to mind if I can find a good deal.

20. Jason King

Local Time:
    It all depends on my budget, then maybe later on once I've got the big costs out of the way, I might change it.

I'm also in two minds to stick with my kessil lighting and buy more to compensate for the tank size or go for a t5 setup, I really like the kessils but I feel that the varied selection of t5 bulbs allow me to bring out colours more. The Geismann dimtec unit im looking at will allow me to dimm each channel, 2 bulbs per channel.. And also has all the features that LEDs have like sunset etc.. The only down side I see with t5 compared to the LEDs is the power consumption?

I'm in no rush for the lights but its an option and once I sell the kessils and tmc aquarays + control, the new unit won't cost as much.