Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
Jason's Colourful Merklap Aquarium..


I'm starting a new scape, new high tech tank.. the other tank will stay as the lower tech Scape but this one will be a Dutch hybrid more of a Plant sampler aquarium (merklap) instead of following the very strict Dutch rules.


I have everything ready to setup except for the Co2 Regulator.


20170405_165234.jpg



Ok the stand looks tidy but its not to cabinet makers standards, please note this is a open style stand as it's in the garage and it's not for display gallery purposes, the idea here is that the plywood you see on top is the exact tank size 120cmH x 60cmD x 45cmH. The gaps at ends are for the pipework, wires etc..


I designed it this way so that it's all open for easy access, making it easier for maintanence etc.


Underneath is a big space in the center that can and maybe used for a smaller tank? Shrimp tank? We will see :)


Filtration will be 2x Eheim professional 4 600 filters with Eheim stock media


Lighting will be my ati sunpower dimmable 6x54w t5s, I got a smaller led light for the low tech as this is wasted on the lowtech setup.


Original i was going to use my ADA AS substrate but it's been weeks of mud.. so i decided on using some 1-3mm black gravel


No hardscape just plants..


For Co2 I'm going to use 2x sera 1000 reactors one for each filter, twin output co2 regulator but still need to buy this when i have more funds.


l also moved my auto doser to this setup for a automated ei fertilizer setup.


As for plants i have a list but I'll keep that for a later post once I'm Setup.


As for Livestock I'm not even sure I'll be stocking it but if i do it will be entirely a clean up crew, Amano shrimp, bristle nose plecs etc. We will see.


The tank, filters and dosing pumps and lights and temp heater are in place, the tank background has been painted black


20170421_092645.jpg



over the next few days I'll be able to get the substrate added etc. Then run the tank for a few weeks until i can afford the new regulator.


Thanks for reading
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
The dosing pump has four pumps my plan is to have them setup as follows based on a 333 litre tank, 1000ml of liquid mixes and 15ml doses

  • Macros on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
  • Micros on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
  • Sunday will be 50-60% water change and no ferts.



Pump 1


2017_04_22_07_11_42.png



Pump 2


2017_04_22_07_12_40.png



Pump 3


2017_04_22_07_13_08.png



Pump 4 unused for now..
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
And for fablau reference i also use air stones (Eheim Adjustable Air Stones) at night as soon as the lights go off and then i turn the air stones off ten mins before co2 comes back on in the morning.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
Thats dope Jason. That glass looks really thick. I love it, especially how you have a double spray bar and their positions. You might have gotten a really bad batch of aqua soil. I believe so.
 

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
679
218
43
Hillsboro, OR
Nice setup.


I need to get a auto doser too. Will be traveling a lot more this year so that will help. what model is that?
 

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
2,956
642
113
50
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Great tank, perfect tank size Jason. Looking forward to see it "growing" :)


As for aeration during night, what time your Co2 starts in the morning? Is your tank open, right? And do you have a wet/filter if I recall correctly, right? If so you just have top-notch degassing... am I assuming correctly?
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
Dennis Singh said:
Thats dope Jason. That glass looks really thick. I love it, especially how you have a double spray bar and their positions. You might have gotten a really bad batch of aqua soil. I believe so.

Thanks Dennis yes it's 12mm glass, think this is standard for a rimless tank of this size.
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
rajkm said:
Nice setup.
I need to get a auto doser too. Will be traveling a lot more this year so that will help. what model is that?

Thanks Raj


That's the reason i use a auto doser as I'm away from home sometimes for long weekends and/or a week or so.


The model is a Kamoer Dosing Pump KSP-F04A - 4 Channel "Master"


I think this is now an older model as I've had it for a few years and there newer models include WiFi? Maybe there's a use for the WiFi feature? Probably for reefers?
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
DutchMuch said:
ooooh :rolleyes: agree, wish I could get an auto doser but for the time being, manual it is...

If its because of funds then eBay worked for me.. this was second hand and my bid won at 80ish.. cost new is about £260UK, if i had to pay the new price i probably would not have one to be honest. I'm not that rich :) but the reef guys like spending money.
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
fablau said:
Great tank, perfect tank size Jason. Looking forward to see it "growing" :)

As for aeration during night, what time your Co2 starts in the morning? Is your tank open, right? And do you have a wet/filter if I recall correctly, right? If so you just have top-notch degassing... am I assuming correctly?

Thanks Fab :) yes same size as my lowtech only difference is this is cannister and the lowtech is sump/diy wet dry.


Based on the old high tech.. this one will run the same.


08.00 Co2 on


08.50 Auto dose ferts


09.00 lights on (1.2 pH drop)


16.00 Co2 off


17.00 Lights off


17.10 air pump on till co2 on at 08.00
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
1-3mm gravel now in place and my cut up plastic bag flow test :)


i also added eheim adjustable air stones to show you in the image.


Normally i hide the air stone behind plants etc so they are not visible and or take them out for photos etc.


The water level is lower than normal but I'll be doing a few extra larger water changes before the tank is ready.


20170422_183156.jpg



Just co2 equipment to add now then it's all go :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: 3 people

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
2,956
642
113
50
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Thank you so much Jason for the provided info! That's a great reference for me, I will try aeration during night and see if that'll make any difference.


Your flow looks perfect (rotation clockwise, right?), and thank you for showing where your air stones are placed.


I see that you ended up using just gravel. Is that just inert gravel or with some CEC characteristics?
 

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
2,956
642
113
50
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Jason, about using air stones at night or anyway when Co2 is off, have you ever tested with and without them, to see if actually there is any actual and tangible any difference in growth or better growth? Just curious, I know that for sure can be beneficial for bacteria and livestock, but I am just wondering if you have seen any actually benefit plant-wise.


Thanks ;)
 

nicpapa

Guru Class Expert
Mar 2, 2012
671
441
63
greece
Nice start.... Tanks have a lot of room for plants...


I keep lot of tanks, and try to keep it all simply setup , just a filter and co2 24 hours..


I am waing for your dosage, experiment on traces.. :)
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
fablau said:
Thank you so much Jason for the provided info! That's a great reference for me, I will try aeration during night and see if that'll make any difference.

Your flow looks perfect (rotation clockwise, right?), and thank you for showing where your air stones are placed.


I see that you ended up using just gravel. Is that just inert gravel or with some CEC characteristics?

Gravel is 100% natural and inert, with no changing properties.


Tomorrow's i will do a pH test currently using 100% tap water and the inert gravel.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
1,033
392
83
20
Arkansas
Jason said:
If its because of funds then eBay worked for me.. this was second hand and my bid won at 80ish.. cost new is about £260UK, if i had to pay the new price i probably would not have one to be honest. I'm not that rich :) but the reef guys like spending money.

oh I didn't even think about that, will definitely have to look into that.


Thanks


Nate
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
fablau said:
Jason, about using air stones at night or anyway when Co2 is off, have you ever tested with and without them, to see if actually there is any actual and tangible any difference in growth or better growth? Just curious, I know that for sure can be beneficial for bacteria and livestock, but I am just wondering if you have seen any actually benefit plant-wise.

Thanks ;)

Fab no I've never tested with or without in the same sump based tank.. I've had tanks without but can't say i have looked into seriously enough to confirm its a good thing.


Plants use oxygen 24/7 but during co2 injection i believe they don't get as much? Correct me if I'm wrong :)


For this reason i believe giving them extra when Co2 is off can't hurt.


A few non plant related reasons..


livestock must appreciate it.


My main reasons​ to use them on this cannister based tank is the guys with lily pipes raise there pipes at night so I just use automated airstones instead of that nightly task to break the water surface.


On the sump tank with overflows i never got surface scum but with cannister filter tanks i did and using air stones helped remove this and also the tanks seemed to have better clarity when I used air stones.
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
nicpapa said:
Nice start.... Tanks have a lot of room for plants...
I keep lot of tanks, and try to keep it all simply setup , just a filter and co2 24 hours..


I am waing for your dosage, experiment on traces.. :)

Thanks nic , I'll keep you updated here on the progress as and if i change things.


Co2 24 hours? Do you use any form of o2 at night or is everything constant?
 

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
2,956
642
113
50
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Jason said:
Fab no I've never tested with or without in the same sump based tank.. I've had tanks without but can't say i have looked into seriously enough to confirm its a good thing.


Plants use oxygen 24/7 but during co2 injection i believe they don't get as much? Correct me if I'm wrong :)


For this reason i believe giving them extra when Co2 is off can't hurt.


A few non plant related reasons..


livestock must appreciate it.


My main reasons​ to use them on this cannister based tank is the guys with lily pipes raise there pipes at night so I just use automated airstones instead of that nightly task to break the water surface.


On the sump tank with overflows i never got surface scum but with cannister filter tanks i did and using air stones helped remove this and also the tanks seemed to have better clarity when I used air stones.

Thanks Jason. Well, I think plants ue more O2 at night than during the day (respiratiin during night, photosynthesis during the day), therefore by giving them O2 should be beneficial indeed. I always wondered if that actually can improve growth in a measurable way... As soon as my tank situation is stabilized, I will try and measure! Thanks ;)