This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

I've been banned from APC

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by Tom Barr, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

From the APC:

I was banned for editting my own post.

So don't look for me there:) :p

Regards,
    Tom Barr

2. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: I've been banned from APC

Duh??????????????

3. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

A bust up with Trenac.... :rolleyes: :p Hard headed folks... :D

Regards
    Peter Gwee

4. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

Seems a bit shortsighted, silly, etc etc.

I don't use it, so does not bother me personally.
    I tend to read / post at AquaFacts http://www.aquafacts.net or Aquarium Board http://aquariumboard.com .

plus here of course :D

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The losers will be APC and those of us who read and comment there.

6. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Strange, I've edited my own posts numerous times. Usually typos, or I re-read it and realize a sentence is worded awkwardly or unclearly... Maybe some new automated check, or one of the admins changed a setting to the forum by accident? Need someone to email the admins on your behalf?

7. PeterGwee

Lifetime Member

Hehehe, Tom was trying to delete off all his previous post via editing... :D

Regards
    Peter Gwee

8. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg Junior Poster

Why was he trying to delete all of his previous posts?

9. chiahead

chiahead Junior Poster

seems a little starnge they banned him for editing his posts. Must be something else going on there.

10. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I think he received some unwarranted criticism from one of the moderators, and, in my opinion, overreacted to it. That led to APC overreacting to his overreaction.

When we communicate with these brief posts it is always easy to misunderstand what someone is "saying", and if we have a thin skin for some reason, it is easier still to assume an emotion that wasn't intended. Tom sometimes states his position strongly, largely as a result of having done all of the work to back up what his opinion is. This has been interpreted at times as an impolite response on his part. I think this grew out of one of those.

The bad part is that those who only read at APC now lose the best source of good information on this hobby.

11. CrownMan

CrownMan Junior Poster

Tom,

Why, in your own words, were you banned from apc?

Mike

12. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Since Tom did not "ban" himself, I don't think he can probably guess much more than what he already has ... APC is a fine board, with fine members, who will simply no longer have the option of added contribution from Tom ...

All that is important is that we know that it occurred and that there will be changes ...

Greg

13. CrownMan

CrownMan Junior Poster

Does this have anything to do with the merger of APC and AquaBotanic? or Natural Aquariums?, etc.

I really hate to see the hobby suffer due to politics. This IS rocket science and we need all the info about aquatic gardening made available to as many hobbyists as possible.

Mike

14. chiahead

chiahead Junior Poster

they have just closed down the thread talking about this at APC. Only an administrator could of banned him, moderators are not allowed. Since Tom isnt talking yet, I did a little checking-it looks like he deleted about 70 of his previous posts. Not too sure why, maybe he was leaving and wanted to take his valuable knowledge with him. I kinda dont blame him, its his knowledge and worked for it. I also think that his comments can and did help many numerous people, including soo many more that just read about it and didnt post. I hate to see him leave a popular forum where his experience could help so much.

15. PeterGwee

Lifetime Member

That started it all I guess. Anyway, Tom's focus is always on the issue at hand and not the person itself. Maybe the moderator took it that Tom was criticising the person by the way he wrote and thus things blew out of proportion.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

That's okay, I'm sort of relieved, I finally got my first banning!
    But I will now focus more on my site and Greg and I spoke about making some new changes and having a regular forum style public access area. This private exclusive area will remain, as will the newsletter and get a new skin and some web/forum options.

But I'll be looking for mods myself. Hopefully my own mods will not ban me:) :D :gw

Rather than having a few article type sections for the public side, I'll use a more public forum with all the sub headings.

Greg will try and get the site changes done in the coming week or two, maybe longer, that's up to him.

You all are welcomed to frequent APC, no issue loyalty etc there, I will not be part of that crowd any longer is all that I'm saying here.

I'm not learning on the APC, I'm teaching.
    The place to do that is here, not APC.

So that is why I'm very adament about all this, Art does not have to deal with me either :D , so it's best for both of us.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.