This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

is this right??

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Paul, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

I have just done a blackout to kill a bad case of hair algae, Could somone just check my revised dosing and advise what to change please? I am replanting it tonight as it got too bad, amazon swords were looking more like lace plants with the amount of holes they were getting in them as well.... :mad:

53US Gall with 60Watts lighting
    ph7, kh 5
    50% water change a week
    Plain sand substrate
    65/35% ro/tapwater mix as tapwater is like liquid rock with high nitrates (40ppm)

After a water change I add 6 grams KN03 and 1.5 grams KH2P04 as well as 4 grams of magnesium sulphate
    next day 7ml pmdd + iron.
    Then alternate days of KN03/KH2PO4 and pmdd

Is this right? I was adding potasium sulphate as well, should I and how much? Since I got my new tank I get the feeling I have lost the plot a little as far as getting the dosing right

Thanks

2. sllo

sllo Junior Poster

Re: is this right??

you have low co2 at 15ppm.. Increase it to 30ppm. with a Kh 5 you should drop the ph to 6.7 slowly.

3. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

Yes, I know I need more c02, just a little concerned about a ph crash :confused: ... a ph of 6.7 would be ok as its a discus tank :)

4. sllo

sllo Junior Poster

i have discus in my tank too. My water is messed up and ph/kh chart for co2 does not help with my calculations. So i dropped the Ph slowly watching the fish when they will get stressed. right now I have it at Ph 5.8 with Kh 3.5 and the discus look just fine

5. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

ok, thanks :)

The dosing look ok to you? the tank was a complete mess before....

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Paul, you have very low light overall.
    You can grow many plants, but you need little dosing for the bioload.

I'd suggest K2SO4, a GH like SeaChem Eq or the Greg Waton's GH build, KH2PO4 only.

I'd add these 2x a week.
    K2SO4 1/3 teaspoon
    KH2PO4: 1/8 or slightly less
    Traces: 10mls 2x a week
    GH: add 1/2 once a week

All tsps.
    Bump the CO2 up slowkly as mentioned.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

Sorry, just realised.. its 120 watts, not 60!

8. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

Every tank is different based on the light, the bioload, the length of time that you run your lights, the quantity of plants and the consistency in which you fertilize your plants.

With more light you would increase the amount of nutrients you dose as well as consider increasing the amount of plants you have. I would probably start by taking Tom's dosing regime above, and rather than just 2 times a week, dose it 3 times a week.

9. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

The lights are on for10 hours a day, will try 3 times a week, thanks

10. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

Now I have re-read whats been said, I will go and try and work it all out.... if I can... :confused: not holding out much hope though...

I think it would be a lot easier if nitrate was nitrate and not KN03 for example, gets a little confusing for the simple people like me, thats whats putting a few people I know off staying on this site...

No nitrate dosing then?? :confused:

11. srozell

Hehe.. you can't get any simpler than me... I've got 13 doctors that will testify to that! (That's why my icon is bubbles.. if you've seen "Finding Nemo", "Bubbles" acts the same way when he sees bubbles as I act when I see pearling bubbles. It's usually followed by a "Take your medication" comment from my wife. :/

I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of Nitrate/KNO3 3 times a week, but be sure to do the weekly water change.

12. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

Usually get to see the film a few times a week due to the little sprog (boy)

I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of Nitrate/KNO3 3 times a week, but be sure to do the weekly water change.[/QUOTE]

That I understand[​IMG]

pottasium sulphate I have!

I have sulphate of potash, same thing?

Have pmdd

Magnesium sulphate (epsom salt?) the same thing? if so, how much??

Am doing :)

Sorry for sounding thick, I didnt do science at school, prefered spanner bashing :)

13. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Sulphate of potash is not the same as KH2PO4 or even K2HPO4. Sulphate is SO4, and Potash indicates potassium, so I would say this is K2SO4. You need a source of phosphate now. You could use Fleet's Enema - be sure to read the ingredients to make sure it is the right one, no oil, and mostly a phosphate.

14. srozell

Magnesium sulphate is the same thing as epsom salt.

I normaly add about 1/2 a tsp to my 20 gallon tanks just after the water change.

15. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Paul, even with 120 w, I'd stick with this.
    If you have 220 w of PC lighting, then perhaps 3 or every other day routines.

But at this level, and + fish, or less than packed biomass etc, 2-3x a week is fine.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

16. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

I have phosphate...

Sulphate of Potash is k20 apparently... this ok? I am not the only person using it that I know of

17. Paul

Paul Guru Class Expert

ok, re-read this thread now and all is sorted ;)