This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Possible? 300 Ppm Co2?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Jon B, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jon B

Jon B New Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    I am setting up a new 10 gallon tank. Tap water is PH 8.0/KH 9. I set up my DIY CO2 injection and let it roll for 24 hours straight now.
    No live stock obviously. I then added 4 lbs Carib Sea Samurai substrate 2 hours ago. I then tested KH and PH to get CO2 level.
    KH was normal range at 10, but PH was 6.0, yellow 6.0. tested twice. Calculate this and you get 300 PPM CO2.

Can CO2 affect tank water this much? Oh, I also have a Bell, 5x5 inch Tupperware, that I've kept full as well.
    Can the Samurai Substrate or it additive reduce PH like this at first?
    I'm obviously going to keep testing

2. ashtonfitzgerald

ashtonfitzgerald New Member

Local Time:
    9:48 PM
    Check the tap water after 24 hours of aeration in a bucket. Municipal water is sometimes high ph out of the tap until it gasses off a bit. My local water goes from 8 pH straight from the tap to 7.4 overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:48 AM
    KH/pH charts and calculators are based on pure DI water with varying levels of carbonate/bicarbonate and CO2 ONLY. They are not taking into account any influence from substrates, other additives and constituents common in tap or naturally-sourced water, let alone a tank full of living critters & plants. The charts and calculators are really kinda meaningless applied to any of our systems, I'm not sure why they continue to be used.

The normal concentration of CO2 in air will only lead to a dissolved CO2 level of < 1ppm. The only way to boost the CO2 level above 1ppm is to dissolve/inject CO2 gas into the water.

Tags: