This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this considered high light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mikeybabs, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:08 AM
    So my Anubis already has a new pale yellow leaf I looked at the plant chart seems to be co2 deficiency? I didn't put any excel in for about a week I wonder if that was the cause?

2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    New Anubias leaves can be a different color than the older leaves. Some are yellowish and some can be reddish. Then there can be a flower too that is a different color. See the pictures below.

Excel is designed to be used daily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks a lot lefty that first picture looks just like my plant :) I've been dosing according to the spreadsheet for the past week and everything seems to be doing good... I wad worried that maybe they werent getting enough nutrients. Thx so much for your help!:)

4. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When you use that dosing chart, it is lean. But, it is based on Seachem's recommendations. If I were you, I would double the amount of Potassium and Phosphorus. This will help with potassium deficiency (pin holes) and green spot algae problems.

At some point, just about all of us would recommend that you switch over to dry ferts. You can still dose their Flourish, Excel and Iron.

5. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks!

Here's an updated pic. I added some water wisteria and a large piece of wood in the middle. Will the wood screw things up by blocking the light? The anubias leaf is getting as big as the rest of the leaves on it and most of the plants are green but I need to prune some. I should be able to modify that excel spreadsheet right? Where can I pickup dry ferts and are they cheap? Thanks you all have been really helpful :)

[​IMG]

6. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Your aquarium looks very nice! I can't tell if the wood is blocking any light to the plants that would really need it. It sounds like the Anubias is doing OK. Anubias sometimes get pinholes. This is why I suggest increasing the F. Potassium dosing.

You can either modify the spreadsheet or just simply remember to double dose the F. Potassium and F. Phosphorus.

Here are several places that sell dry ferts:
    http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
    http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/6-fertilizers
    http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

Keep up the good work!

7. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hey guys, here's a video update of my tank. I upgraded the filter to a canister filter rated for a 200 gallon tank and the water flow has increased significantly... it has gotten a bit clearer too and I feel like the nutrients are spreading out more equally now...

I'm posting because I'm mainly wondering if I can get away with a water change every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week? The seachem dosing chart suggests to do a 50% water change after every week and I was wondering if there are dosing charts out there that would allow me to stretch it to 2 weeks? Could I just dose then skip a day then dose and do that to double the ammount of time resulting in a water change every 2 weeks? Or could I go a whole week without dosing and then dose the next week? I've skipped the past 3 days of dosing and have not noticed any changes in the plants... The reason I want to do it every 2 weeks is because it fits in with my water changing schedule with all 5 of my tanks

also there are some leaves that are growing a brownish color and look withered but over time slowly are getting a tad bit greener and less withered... is this a nutrient deficiency? i will post better pics if this helps

[video=youtube;toVY3qPnE_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVY3qPnE_Y[/video]

8. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You should be safe to change your water every two weeks. This is because you have a moderately low plant mass and your are dosing relatively small amounts. It would suggest that you do not back off on your dosing by skipping days. You might not see the effects today or tomorrow, but it could come back to haunt you in the form of deficiencies or algae. The browning could be a nitrate or phosphate deficiency.

9. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks! So should I follow the same seachem recommended dosing in the excel spreadsheet except skip the water change after the first week? I will go back to dosing regularly... Also... If I downgraded my lighting to something less intense in the low range then I should be able to skip dosing as long as I'm willing to sacrifice growth speed?

Do you have any advice for making the dosing less tedious? I work full time and do water changes regularly on 5 tanks and the last thing I need is added responsibility. I am thinking I want to somehow pre-measure everything for a week at a time so I can just dump it in come morning time. I was thinking perhaps a medicine container would work well for this... But was told not to mix the ferts. Tips appreciated!:)

When you say there's a nitrate or phosphate deficiency should I double my doses on those? I am actually already doubling the phosphate as someone recommended so should I triple it?

Thx so much! Very helpful forum :)

10. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm sure that you could make that work. If you have plants that need more lighting, they may struggle. You can replace those with nice low light plants.

You can mix these together:
    • N, P, K and GH Booster
    • Flourish and Iron
    • Keep Excel separate

Don't mix to far ahead in case you need to make changes.

Tom has a solution method for dosing using dry fert mixes for the macros. You can make a dry micro mix or continue with your choice of liquid micro nutrient. Here is it. It is very adjustable. The fert mix balance is very good, you modify the amount of mL's that you dose. Check it out when you get a chance. http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/3209-Want-more-accuracy-Want-daily-PMDD-style-EI-dosing

I'm just guessing on the brown leaf. It could just be a dead or dieing leaf. Maybe just trim it off. Then keep the current dosing for now.

Sure, you are very welcome. I am glad to help if I can.

11. Mikeybabs

Mikeybabs Junior Poster

Local Time:

Thanks! I'm going to post a closer more focused video update panning around the tank especially on the areas I feel there are problems with the tank... Hopefully you plant experts can tell me what I need to modify in my dosing and maintenance routines :)

12. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    i have a 15g with 4x24w t5 ho with a polished aluminium reflector. i have no algae problems and the plants grow like weeds, even though it is mostly mosses and crypts.