Is this BGA or i am missing something

kevinbkk

Jan 3, 2012
hi
my 20 gallon tank is 4 months old , it has BGA growing on the glass under the substrate and on the stones , to get ride of it , i dosed with erythromycin 250 mg , single tablet a day ,i am dosing this since last five days
i have seen all the cynobacteria on the glass under the substrate has vanished ,but then ,on the stones still remain intact, this make me confused is it BGA or some thing else on the stones, they do keep pearling like everyday and didnt see any reduction at all , can some one look on the pictures and identify is that cynobacteria or some think else on the stones

Regards

kevin

View attachment 2871View attachment 2872View attachment 2873

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
BGA Is Just Trying to Help

Hi Kevin,

Welcome!
:encouragement:

Yes, that appears to be cyanobacteria (if it feels slimy, it is), I wouldn’t worry too much, your tank is young.
:)

Good water changes, remove as much cyanobacteria as you can.

Be careful not to overfeed the tank, reducing the light a bit and increasing the number of plants would help.
:cool:

Biollante

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Hi, in the pictures, it looks like BGA or GDA to me.
But if you used to see it spread like a membrane then it surely is BGA.

bga1.jpg

kevinbkk

Jan 3, 2012
following Biollante advice , every week before water change i cleaned the stones using old toothbrush, and as a result cynobacteria have reduced a lot, now i can hardly see them anymore on stones