Is this a true SAE ?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Definitely Not

Definitely not a “True SAE”, Crossocheilus siamensis, probably not one of Paracrossochilus, also known as a false SAE.

It is hard for me to be certain, but it appears to me that it is most likely The Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus, I base this principally on the bar extending past the peduncle and that I can’t see the distinct coloration or roundness of the fins. Though based on the photograph I can’t say for sure

All I can say with certainty is that it is not a True SAE, the giveaway or defining difference that tells us that it is definitely not a “True SAE,” Crossocheilus siamensis is the smooth bar. The True SAE has a “hatched” bar down the middle, Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) - Crossocheilus siamensis has a good picture and description. The organization seems muddled to me but Will the Real SAE Please Swim Forward? Epalzeorhynchus and Crossocheilus et al.; or Minnows as Biological Algae Controls; In Search of the Elusive SAE's (Siamese Algae Eaters) is a good read on distinguishing between the algae eaters

Hope this helps.:)

Biollante

jbrazio

Prolific Poster
Jun 14, 2009
localhost
Thanks !
That was what I suspected..

Nevertheless, here is another shot:

DSC_1022.jpg

GTR

Prolific Poster
Jun 4, 2009
SoCal
I have 8 that look just like that. They're real good at eating flake food and then waiting for more.
Other than that all they do is chase each other around until the next meal is served.
They're the most aggressive fish out of 120 I have in the tank but only amongst themselves.

I've been meaning to start setting the trap.

100_0700.jpg

SteveU

Vinno

Junior Poster
Apr 11, 2010
Good luck with setting the trap, in my early years, made the same mistake and was a messing catching them with net :(