Is there a downside with using Eheim as CO2 reactor?

R

Russ

I've been experimenting with various injection methods from misting to in-line reactors and it seems that I get good results by just feeding CO2 into the intake of my Eheim. Is there a downside to doing it that way?

thanks,

Russ

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Noise and gurgle. I think more O2 is better for the bacteria in there rather than high CO2, just like fish.
But it typically is not a large issue, I'd not worry about it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

richardsantink

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2005
just outside of Ottawa, Ontario
Russ;12901 said:
I've been experimenting with various injection methods from misting to in-line reactors and it seems that I get good results by just feeding CO2 into the intake of my Eheim. Is there a downside to doing it that way?

thanks,

Russ

For what it's worth, I had read that it is hard on rubber seals etc.. but after doing it in my previous setup for two+ years in my Eheim, they show no signs of deterioration.

RAS

R

Russ

Thanks guys. The noise is minimal with this model, an Eheim 2026. I just bought a Kent Marine venturi, so I'll be experimenting with that too.

-Russ

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
Why the input of the Eheim and not the output of the Eheim? Does it matter?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Bubbles hit the impeller, grinds the gas up, dissolves it.
Venturi added to the output will do the same thing but add CO2 mist directly into the tank rather than dissolving it, allowing for a direct gas into the plant as well as dissolved CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

crollner

Junior Poster
Dec 5, 2008
I'm looking to insert c02 into my aquarium. How did you insert the c02 line into the intake of your eheim. I have a 2026. Thanks. any pictures would be appreciated!

Any problems with the setup?

Bedpan

Junior Poster
Jan 1, 2009
Got the same question. Anyone dare to elaborate? I am a total newbie and thinking about trying out some DIY CO2.. have been reading a lot of people using their canister filter as the reactor. Just need to figure out how to get the CO2 into the input line of my Ehiem 2213.

Thanks folks!

Mike

crollner;31432 said:
I'm looking to insert c02 into my aquarium. How did you insert the c02 line into the intake of your eheim. I have a 2026. Thanks. any pictures would be appreciated!

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand
I have tried many of the options described on different forums to get the CO2 dissolved. Power heads, diffusers, bubble ladders ect.ect. Now what I have done is connect the CO2 line to the output hose of my EHEIM 2234 cannister using a check valve rite near the outlet of the pump. This then travels thru my chiller and out into the tank. I see no CO2 bubbles coming out into the tank, so I guess its getting dissolved 100%. I get pearling after 1hr lights on, and according to the Drop Checker(don't trust it too much) I have plenty of CO2 in the water. This way is clean and hassel free for me and seems to work great, no clogging of diffusers, no cleaning of crap sucked into the powerheads ect. ect. I have a chiller due to the fact my tank, without it reaches 33C. This is Thailand. Just another option for some who may run chillers.

Cheers,

Singtoh

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Russ,

I was feeding my CO2 into my Eheim 2217. The problem I found was that as the filter starting to clog up the CO2 output became variable leading to lots of BBA. I think a dedicated device for CO2 is the way to go. Let the Eheim just be the filter and use something else for the CO2.

Scott.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
i use a pollen glass difuser with a small eheim just above it, seams to work well:)

Ratfish

Junior Poster
Sep 16, 2009
In my experience, feeding co2 directly into a filter intake has killed off the nitrifying bacteria and caused green water algae blooms. This happened a few different times to me before I realized what the cause was. This was with an aquaclear overflow filter though.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
IMO: You may cause an air-lock due to the motor been on top of the canister an ruin your filter ? I think the Mag 350 filter would be best the motor sits at the bottom of the filter.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
inkslinger;40920 said:
IMO: You may cause an air-lock due to the motor been on top of the canister an ruin your filter ? I think the Mag 350 filter would be best the motor sits at the bottom of the filter.

Yeah, if you pump the CO2 in at a fairly rapid rate. This has happened to me a few times where CO2 was building up in a bend in the tubing, then suddenly burping it's way into the pumps impellor all of a sudden; makes a hell of a noise.

If you pump the CO2 in slow enough though I don't think you'll have a problem.

Can't qualify what I mean by 'slow enough' - you'd have to experiment.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
crollner;31432 said:

I would imagine the best way would be to position a polen glass difuser under the intake of the eheim, so the small CO2 bubbles get sucked up into the filter :)

I wouldn't do this, but my LFS does

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brian20

my best experience is with my DIY reactor. It works nice, mantenaince free, no noise at 3 bps. Disolve CO2 fast. Plants pearling a lot!!!