This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Whole A Sum of Its Parts?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by csmith, Mar 6, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    5:19 AM
    If one leaf on a plant is pearling and several others are not for whatever reason, is the plant as a whole receiving the Co2 indicated by the pearling or is the one leaf fending for itself and the rest go wanting? By that I mean is the leaf holding on to what it's receiving, or will the pearling leaf actually be passing that elevated level of Co2 throughout the rest of the plant?
    Can one leaf indicate what the plant as a whole is receiving?

I guess this is more an aquatic biology or botany question, but I'm curious.

2. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    5:19 AM
    I think the plant as a whole is receiving the Co2 and proccessing it, all the O2 goes out for by the most easy part (most open stomata???) when there are a lot of O2 producing,the O2 presure start to scape in the other leaves. like when you trim the plants a lots of bubbles get out. It only a hipotesis im studying Enginner not biology.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    11:19 AM
    Well, the tops might be actively growing, the lower leaves tend not to have as much light either, CO2 can be higher at the tips where current is higher/light is higher as well, and the tissue is new and more actively growing.

I've measured huge differences in CO2 concentrations in the plant beds(say 10-15ppm), to 40-50ppm in open water that's mixed and coming in from the CO2 diffuser.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:19 AM
    Maybe the leaves that aren't pearling are getting more water flow and thus any pearling is being blown away.

-
    S