Is the Clippard Mouse Solenoid as infamous and the old Clippard Solenoid?

Crazymidwesterner

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2007
Dixon IL
Soooo looking to break down and get a CO2 system. I was given a 10 lbs CO2 tank full and with a recent hydro test and I have some cash from selling a couple items so why not right :) Keep things controllable with less light set up and autodoser for ferts and stop having to dose excel everyday.

Anyway on to my question. I see a lot of post body setups with clippard mouse solenoids. Are these better than the old clippard solenoids that dies quickly or should they still be avoided?

Second Question is about needle valves....I see Swagelok M series, S series, Fabco NV-55, SMC AS1200. I know some offer more fine tuning abilites than the next but I'm not a huge gadget nerd and I am looking for value. Are there any of the above I should just avoid?

I appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks!

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Crazymidwesterner;77236 said:
Soooo looking to break down and get a CO2 system. I was given a 10 lbs CO2 tank full and with a recent hydro test and I have some cash from selling a couple items so why not right :) Keep things controllable with less light set up and autodoser for ferts and stop having to dose excel everyday.
Great! You'll like CO[SUB]2[/SUB].

Anyway on to my question. I see a lot of post body setups with clippard mouse solenoids. Are these better than the old clippard solenoids that dies quickly or should they still be avoided?
I haven't used them, but I've read good reports about them. They do have tiny #10-32 ports, but there are several different manifolds for them with 1/8" NPT threads that are available. I don't know any specifics as to the differences in each manifold. The Mouse solenoids are a completely different design than the Maximatic solenoids. The Mouse solenoids run on DC current and require a transformer. They are available in several different voltages too.

Second Question is about needle valves....I see Swagelok M series, S series, Fabco NV-55, SMC AS1200. I know some offer more fine tuning abilites than the next but I'm not a huge gadget nerd and I am looking for value. Are there any of the above I should just avoid?
I prefer the Ideal "1" series. These are the ones that I've used the most. I highly recommend them.

Some of the M series Swagelok's have very little adjustability for our use. Like their first 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn out may be usable, the rest is way too much. The S series have more adjustability because their Cv is more in line with our use, but these are mostly available with tube fittings vs NPT.

The Fabco NV-55 has tiny #10-32 ports and the NV-55-18 has 1/8" NPT ports. Other than this, they are identical. I've never used one, but they are popular. I am not familiar with the SMC AS1200.

pepetj

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2008
Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep
I haven't had any problems with Clippard solenoids, be it the classic one or the Mouse series. I had two classic Clippard solenoids from Rex Grigg and both functioned pretty well, I just gave one to a friend two weeks ago. I only use medical grade CO2 (only feasable option where I live) I don't know if that has an impact or not in the solenoid functioning.

The Clippard Mouse models I've used recently and so far I'm pleased with them be it the 12 or 24VDC version, I have these in manifolds for multiple output using SMC AC1200 micro needle valves or Swagelok M series, never has it been easier for me to fine tune several tanks (using dual stage regulator of course). Fabco is a workhorse although at times I've need some time to find the right tuning point.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Last edited by a moderator:

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
I haven't had any issues with my mouse solenoids either. The biggest positive about them is the fact that they don't get hot. That, and they're pretty cheap. I don't think I'd use the in-line version though. There's already enough stuff flopping around under my tank. I like Fabcos too. If you don't want to spend very much, they are the way to go. Figure you're going to spend something like $30 on a nv-55. Then figure about $80 for an Ideal. A new s-series from Swagelok, about $100. I figure the s-series is pretty much a center point between the other 2 I listed. Does it make sense to get a new one? I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one. And respectively, no more than $20 for a m-series. I don't have any experience with the smc valves but they are what the ada regulators use.

Here's a picture of my Clippard mouse solenoid and NV-55 on my regulator. I think I only paid something like $60 to build the post body.

DSC_0019-1.jpg

maknwar

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati
I would go with a mouse and fabco like oldpunks if your on a budget, or a burkert and ideal series 1 needle valve if you want to go all out and want the best.