This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Better Not To Have A Ph Controller Hooked C02 System

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by #1 Plant Boy, Sep 5, 2018.

1. #1 Plant Boy

#1 Plant Boy New Member

Local Time:
    11:04 AM
    Currently I iam using a ph controller to control the c02 output in my aquarium. My plants are suffering bad and was wanting to know if plants would be better off by not controlling the c02 output during the day and Instead giving the plants a constant supply of c02.

Thanks

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:04 PM
    If you have an inert substrate like gravel or sand, they can be useful as long as you keep the probe calibrated.

They are not good to use with aquasoil or any substrate that changes the KH, because co2 will not be consistent as the KH rises and falls if you keep the same PH

Aaron Chen likes this.
  3. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    2:04 PM
    I have never used pH controller but own a pH pen. I notice that if my CO2 injection generates a substantial amount of CO2 mist, the pH pen will underestimate the ppm of CO2 based on pH kH chart. Like pH pen, pH controller measures H+, not CO2 mist which is free gas, but both are available to plants.

4. #1 Plant Boy

#1 Plant Boy New Member

Local Time:
    I am using turface' pro league for my substrate. Is that a substrate that shouldn't be used with a ph controller?

5. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:04 PM
    Im not sure but just from looking it doesnt seem to have any buffering capacity, just a high cec. Think it would be OK

However, running co2 24/7 almost certainly wont make any difference to your struggling plants. They are struggling for some other reason.

You should start by making sure CO2 during the day is good - have an adequate concentration by the time lights come on and running the same rate every day

6. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:04 PM
    Agreed.

If you really want help, post as much information as possible about your tank and set up (size, lighting, ferts, plants, etc. etc.), along with pictures. Many would be happy to offer their thoughts.

I use a CO2 controller, but really it's just a convenience. And IMO, having one or not having one has nothing to do with your plants being unhappy.

7. #1 Plant Boy

#1 Plant Boy New Member

Local Time:
    OK thanks. I did post in the general plant topic section on this wesbite every detail about my setup and what I am doing and pictures of the condition of the plants.

8. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    7:04 PM
    Use a calibrated PH controller to monitor PH to figure out your injection rate needed. Once you have done that you should just be relying on the static injection rate and use ph controller to just monitor now and then.
    Not sure what diffusion method is. If your diffusion method includes pushing gas thru a ceramic media, it can get clogged so in that case a constantly calibrated PH controller can be helpful because you can keep increasing your injection to compensate for clogged diffuser and not worry about gassing your fish.

Tags: