This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is It A Waste Of Time And Money To Try And Grow Buce In Non Co2 Tanks?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Stan510, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    9:44 AM
    Tell me the truth,Bruce. Are they just hangers on in fish tanks with plants? Since that is what I have. But,I do get decent growth now out of Bolbitis and Anubias..Java Moss. Some people might say "Everybody does with those plants" but there are countless posts of failing with those so..I know nothing is a sure thing.
    Any particular Buce easier/faster/better bloomer in no Co2 tanks?

2. Claudio

Claudio New Member

Local Time:
    5:44 PM
    I have a Bucephalandra Lavandau Blue that I put in my tank more than 1 year ago. It is a low light, no-CO2 tank, with hard water (KH>10°) and this particular Bucephalandra is slowly but steadly growing, starting from a small piece of rizome. It is even flowering. So some Buce can do well.
    I tried also a Bucephalandra Apple Leaf but it did not grow well (still alive, but is not growing) in my tank.
    Both the plants were purchased from another aquarist as simple pieces of rizomes.

Talking with other people keeping Bucephalandra in Italy, my idea is that:
    1) the CO2 is not needed at all (will grow faster with it but it is not needed, most people keep them in low tech tanks);
    2) the most important value for Bucephalandra is stability: they do not like fast changes in water values, in particular conductivity. If you have a conductivity meter you can check that the conductivity do not swing too much. Stability is the key;
    3) most (but not all) types of Bucephalandra likes low KH. Some (i.e. Lavandau) thrives even in high KH. Tomorrow I will receive a piece of Dark Jade, that has been told to be another Buce for hard water.

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

3. Alan K

Alan K New Member

Local Time:
    11:44 AM
    I 2nd Buce Lavandau Blue and I also had good results with Buce Mini Catherine in low tech

Tags: