This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is It A Myth That High Bioload Trigger Algae

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by tiger15, May 5, 2019.

1. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    3:24 AM
    I set up this 75 gal planted tank for about 2 years. It has stocking of 11 4-inch cichlid, another 20 1-inch tiger barb, kribensis and Molly, and a dozen bristlenose pleco. I struggled with bba and other algae at the beginning. Now that the plants are established, all at a sudden there is no trace of algae except minor GSA on slow growing Anubias and Buce leaves. I was told that heavy bio load will trigger algae, and indeed all nature perfect tanks have light stocking. It’s a myth as I have demonstrated that heavily stocked tank can also be algae free. A journal of my tank is posted here: https://barrreport.com/threads/cichlid-planted-tank.15427/#post-156437

C6298F40-F701-4482-92A8-EE83916A818F.jpeg

041935F4-EF60-44EF-98DB-9B6FE0E62A12.jpeg

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:24 AM
    It's not a myth...
    High bioload = high organics, both dissolved and solid = algae especially algae like BBA which are indicative of high organic load.

Dense plant growth = biological stability. Plants ability to mop up organics is well documented, that is why they are used in water treatment. In effect your dense plant biomass is acting like a filter and reducing organic load and that is why your BBA has disappeared.

Either way, high bioload is not only undesirable from an algae point of view it can be very stressful for the critters and can lead to disease, which is perhaps a more salient issue.
    Nice tank by the way, you must have achieved a good balance :)

#2 Tim Harrison, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  3. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    3:24 AM
    My plant mass is not high, moderate at best, as the plants sit on top of rock piles to look full. It’s not a Dutch style. It has a lot of hardscape where slow growing Java fern, Buce and Anubias are attached to, and only two stem plants in pots. The bio load is heavy, close to 50 fish total: 12 4-inch cichlid, 20 1-inch other fish, and around 15 1 to 2-inch bristlenose pleco, but look light because most fish are hidden from sight in plants and rock caves beneath.. The fish consume a lot of food daily, and I do massive 75% water change weekly to compensate.

#3 tiger15, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
Tags: