This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is chelated iron in CSM+B good?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by tiger15, Aug 17, 2017.

1. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    7:25 AM
    Plantex CSM+B contains 55% EDTA. Is EDTA the chelating agent for iron and other metals. I read that EDTA is only stable below pH 6.5. If so, how good is it?

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:25 AM
    EDTA is the chelating agent in csmb.

6.5 is the PH threshold where EDTA begins to detach from Fe only. To the other micros, it stays bound at much higher PHs.

How good is it? if your PH never gets much above 6.5 its pretty good. If you PH is higher than 6.5, you will most likely need an additional source of Fe (depending on your set-up obviously, low-tech vs high tech, etc)

A good additional source would be DTPA chelated Fe, which stays bound up into the high 7s, or Fe gluconate, which isnt much of a chelate so it doesnt stick around as long, but it is more easily available to plants than chelated forms.

3. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    7:25 AM
    My water pH is consistently above 6.5, so I have decided to forego buying cMS+B and stay with Flourish. I also placed an order for DTPA iron. Iron is the most important trace, and if EDTA iron is no good for my water, CMS+B is no good for me.

Just curious why EDTA is only unstable with iron but not with other metals at pH above 6.5. And if a chelaging agent is holding onto the metals, how can plant absorb the metals. Many water conditioner contains EDTA and claimed to remove heavy metals, so is it contradictory to need a chelating agent to make metals available to plants? Also, is it advisable to dose water conditioner and trace minerals at the same time in water change.

#3 tiger15, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    There is such a small amount of iron in the Nutritrace CSM and to forgo using the CSM entirely simply because of the iron does not make sense as you then eliminate all the other micro nutrients are not all that available and are a pain to add individually. If you have many red leafed plants you could add the iron as iron chelated with DTPA or Ferrous gluconate, both of which we carry at www.aquariumfertilizer.com.

Mooner likes this.
  5. Julia Adkins

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The other thing you can do is to add a very small amount of vinegar to the solution which will reduce the pH and make the iron more bioavailable.

Dale Hazey likes this.
  6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:25 AM
    Green plants need iron as much as "red-leaved plants"

Dale Hazey and Phishless like this.
  7. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    IME, use csm+b and dtpa to get the best of both

Dale Hazey likes this.
  8. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How much vinegar should I add to 250mL of hot tap water before adding Plantex CSM+b?

Thanks
    Dale

Mike k likes this.
  9. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have been using 250mL distilled water with 1 teaspoon Plantex CSM+B right now.

25mL dose for a 40gallon 1-2x week
    10mL dose for a 29gallon 1-2x week

These doses are achieving .1 ppm FE

My KH is rather high so not sure if it really matters if I use the hot water and vinegar or distilled

10. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Dry dose using EI Method, simple

Dale Hazey likes this.
  11. Julia Adkins

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Green plants only need a trace amount of iron. The red leafed plants need slightly more as this is what contributes to their red color. When red leafed plants get a little more iron, the color pops out bright and shiny.