Is anyone using My Yahoo?

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Is anyone using My Yahoo? It might be possible for me to create a link between the Barr Report and your My Yahoo page that would show you the latest thread topics on your My Yahoo page ...

So is anyone using it?

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Is anyone using My Yahoo?

I have My Yahoo, had to join up for the BKA forum, but I don't use it all that
much. THe Barr Report quicklink is in my toolbar for checking to see what's going on....quick, fast, and in a hurry :D

Bill

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT

I use My Yahoo which is also my Home Page.

Marcel

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

For anyone who is using My Yahoo ...

At the very bottom of your My Yahoo page, there is a blue button "Add Content" ....

Click on that link ... on the next page, just to the right of the Find button in the Find box is a link called "Add RSS By URL" ... click on that link ...

On the next page ... in the URL box ... add http://www.BarrReport.com/forums/external.php

You will now have a feed of the most recent threads on your My Yahoo page !!!! It's not perfect, but its a work in progress ...

This also works on most websites ... it will allow someone with a website to put a content box on their website which will display the most recent threads ...

Greg

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Always working to make the site better. I like that. Granted, it's a young site so there's plenty of room for improvement as you find new toys ;)

Any thoughts to embed the RSS feed in the main page? I know with Firefox I've got live bookmarks that change with the RSS feed.

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

I'm writing a small Windows app to read in the RSS feed but I'm getting the following error when parsing the XML.

'The expected DTD markup was not found. Line 1, position 3.'

Any ideas?

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

reiverix said:
I'm writing a small Windows app to read in the RSS feed but I'm getting the following error when parsing the XML.

'The expected DTD markup was not found. Line 1, position 3.'

Any ideas?

None ... I know very little about RSS ... however, this is written using version 0.91 of the RSS standards ... and I *think* there are two different RSS standards (including a version higher than 0.91) ... so if I were to guess ... it would be a version problem ... this was a copy and paste hack to evaluate the "possibilities" ... and for me, all I can tell you is it works with php websites and MyYahoo ...

Greg

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

Yes, there is a version 2 of RSS but they are compatible. I've been looking through some different RSS feeds and none of them have this line -

...which you have at line 2. I'm not sure if that is it, but my code won't parse past this line. Although to be fair, browsers are more forgiving than compiled executables.

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

reiverix said:
Yes, there is a version 2 of RSS but they are compatible. I've been looking through some different RSS feeds and none of them have this line -

I've removed it ... see if it works for you now ...

Greg

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

Sorry, I'm getting an error still. But this time just pasting the http://www.barrreport.com/forums/external.php address into my browser gives an xml error -

End tag was not expected at this location. Error processing resource 'http://www.barrreport.com/forums/external.php'. Line 112, position 3

ss
--^

Now, I did manage to get it working last night (before you changed it) by streaming the page onto my hard drive and saving the content. I'm kind of new to the RSS thing as well, but it is a neat feature.

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

reiverix said:
Sorry, I'm getting an error still. Now, I did manage to get it working last night (before you changed it) by streaming the page onto my hard drive and saving the content. I'm kind of new to the RSS thing as well, but it is a neat feature.

I put it back the way it was ... I'll continue to tinker with it over the next few weeks or so ...

Thank you for the feedback ...

Greg

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

Well that was quite tricky, but finally. Now I can use the feed in a Windows app without using my browser. Check it out

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Since no one has mentioned it, you can use this feed in Firefox as well. Go to Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks.

rss1.jpg

From there, File -> Add Live Bookmark.

rss2.jpg

Put in the information you want such as a Name for the bookmark, and the link.

rss3.jpg

And then, either from the bookmarks pull down, or if you put it on the bookmarks toolbar, click on the name you created and you get a pull down of the feed.

rss4.jpg

AV8TOR

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Ohio

Greg it’s working just fine for me in My Yahoo. One question I have is how often does it update itself?

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

AV8TOR said:
Greg it’s working just fine for me in My Yahoo. One question I have is how often does it update itself?

Once an hour I think is what I have it set for ... it was a quick and dirty experiment because I think that RSS feeds are going to become very popular ...

Especially as they start getting integrated into our browsers and email programs. I haven't looked at it, but what prompted me to create the feed was the fact that RSS feeds have been integrated into the companion email program to FireFox ...

I think that in a year or two, RSS feeds will be seamlessly integrated into our email programs ...

Greg