This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Is a UV Sterilizer Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by thegasman, Feb 3, 2013.

1. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    10:31 AM
    I'm thinking about adding a UV sterilizer to my upcoming switch to a sump based filter system. Is a UV sterilizer worth adding? My tank is doing great without one. I understand what they are and what they do, but don't understand if they are worth the expense. Are they just insurance for the "what if" scenario? What are the recommended brands that are good quality? Is it worth it to get one with the built in wiper?

I will most likely get one, but am just wondering if I'll see any real benefit.
    I'm leaning towards the Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 15 watt for my 34 gallon tank. It looks like it can handle a higher flow rate than others and still be effective.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. puopg

puopg Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think they are definitely a nice thing to have as a back up incase of green water or killing waterborne algae. That being said, if you got your tank under control, seems like you don't need to run it.

3. rogerfans

rogerfans Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    UV is useful, but it isn't MUST. I met the green water, and purchased a UV sterilizer at $35. Green water was sloved by UV, but I never ever use it again.:gw

4. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've just purchased a TMV Vecton 600 for my 100g tank. Started hooking it up last night, hoping to finish it tonight. I'm running it immediately after one of my Eheim 2217's.

The reason I bought one is for the fish. I often have problems with bacterial diseases affecting my fish, even simple live bearers don't last before they succumb to something. Coupled with the water changes I do, I'm hoping I can create a more healthy environment for the fish, eventually I'd like to get some discus.

There are other benefits to using one that are a bonus, such as helping somewhat towards algae control and general water quality.

I'm going to run mine 24/7 initially.

From the research I've done whether you could find one useful or not depends. If you are having no problems with disease or green water etc, I guess not.

5. captnphil

captnphil Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dont forget its all about flow vs watts!
    More flow, less "cleaning"

6. HisXlency

HisXlency Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Good info as I want to add one to my modest setup as well. Any suggestions for a 20L with an eHeim 2217?

7. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    One of the smaller Vectons would work fine - just check the flow rate - you'll probably be pumping out 600lph like me.