This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

is 80 PPM nitrate the ideal concentration for plant growth?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by hn5624, Nov 18, 2017.

1. hn5624

hn5624 New Member

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    I saw on one of Tom Barrs videos a chart that showed the percentage of plant growth with respect to nitrate levels. Although i'm not entirely sure if i interpreted it correctly as i can't find the video again.

Assuming maximum light,co2,and other nutrients to scale, is 80 ppm nitrate near ideal for plant growth, assuming that adding more or less would decrease total plant growth.

I have no fishes in my plantedtanks, aside from snails.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:38 PM
    How much nitrate you need for maximum growth depends on what plants you have, how much light you use, and if you are dosing everything else in non-limiting amounts. As I recall, 80 ppm of nitrates is higher than necessary. But, I haven't researched this.

3. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:38 PM
    80 ppm nitrate per week is about two to three times more than what a high light, high CO2, densely planted tank might need.