This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Iron source to augment TMG?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Russ, May 2, 2007.

1. Russ

Russ Guest

Local Time:
    3:34 AM
    I'm adding 15ml of Tropica Master Grow to my 75g every two days and I'm not getting the red I would like in the stems of Rotala macranda 'green' and the leaves of C. affinis and C. wendtii 'green gecko.' I used to use Seachem Flourish and got better red in these plants. I was going to start adding a little Seachem Iron supplement, but thought I'd ask if that was compatible w/TMG.

Using EI. Substrate is Onyx. GH = 10; KH = 5; PH = 7.4 (rested) and lowered to 6.2 with CO2.

Thanks,

-Russ

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    9:34 AM
    It should be fine.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Russ

Russ Guest

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom.

-Russ

4. sherry

sherry Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    does tmg need to be supplemented for iron hungry plants? is macrandra an iron hungry plant? I've been using straight tmg. My reds are fine, but the lower leaves tend to fade very quickly on mac, so I end up with nice tops and a ratty plant anyway.. Any hints?

5. Russ

Russ Guest

Local Time:
    I don't know that my supplementing TMG will necessarily get me the red I want and I don't think it's the case that TMG usually needs to be supplemented for "iron hungry plants." The problem you're having with macrandra sounds like a problem with light to me.

-Russ

6. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Adding TMG into the water column should be just fine, all you need to do is plant a few slow release fert tabs around the heavy eaters, this will provide them with what they need, youll find most of the very red plant types are all primarily root feeders rather than taking what they need from the water column, all these benefit from tabs, amazon swords and that type of broad foliage thick set plants will lap it up to.

The other way would be to carefully mix in some laterite with the soil around the heavy eaters, that will also slowly release iron to the substrate.

Both ways will mean you cater for the whole biomas rather than leaving things gasping/overfed.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Perhaps you explain why Jame's Red mac is red and healthy then in plain sand and basic EI?

Jamesc's Latest Tank Photo - Tropical Fish Forums

It does not hurt to have it, but it's certainly not mandatory, the best looking Macrandra I've still ever seen used low light, 2w/gal, somewhat lean nutrients with plenty of Ca/Mg, and of course, plain sand...........

Regards,
    Tom Barr

8. sherry

sherry Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Tom I had issues in 4wpg.. and not sure I"ve gotten rid of them in 2 watts, but I am certain I've had enough light one way or the other.

Florida aquatic once told me that their mac grows best if they put on a bit of it in tanks iwth other plants and it fades if they try to grow an entire tank of it.

there has to be a nutrient it runs out of.

If I'm dosing EI are their any other options?

I did the "low' nutrients thing originally .. it is better in ei but again, only the tops.