Iron Level In My Home Well Water

Lou Ahlquist

Oct 7, 2018
Central NJ
According to the professional water test I needed to have performed before we could move into our house showed that the iron level was 0.66 ppm. I am in the process of setting up my aquarium and need some advice as to what to do about this level. I have an RO unit I could use although, I would like to keep it simple and easy if possible. My other parameters are as follows:
GH is 5 and KH is 3, Ca = 80 ppm. I calculated my Mg at 26.9 ppm NO3 2 ppm. pH is 7.7 after aerating the well water.

Is there any type of filtration that can take the Iron out?

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
This .66ppm of Fe might bind with phosphates and not be available for plant uptake, I'm not sure?
Maybe you can use RODI to blend with your tap water?
I only use RODI nowadays and remineralize to desired GH & KH.

Other water parameters seem fine.

Lou Ahlquist

Oct 7, 2018
Central NJ
This .66ppm of Fe might bind with phosphates and not be available for plant uptake, I'm not sure?

I'm leaning towards using all RO water.
What product do you use to remineralize/ or do blend your own?

Lou Ahlquist

Oct 7, 2018
Central NJ

Thanks for the response!
I am new to planted tanks. From what I have been reading it doesn't appear to be easy to measure iron in all its forms. I was looking into a Hanna low range Iron checker (ppb) to measure my well water though, Hanna states that it won't measure Iron bound to EDTA so I guess that means it's not useful for measuring a planted tank when dosing Iron. They say it measures "soluble, ionic and free Iron". It sounds like it might be useful for measuring the iron in my supply water (well water) but not in the aquarium.

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I wasted 4 reagent packets in an attempt to test the tester.
Mixed up know values and they were close.
Even checked tank before and after dosing and was satisfied.