Iron experiment

jtparsons

Prolific Poster
Jan 18, 2009
Bellingham Wa
I think I have thought of a way to test my iron question/hypothesis I asked in my noobie question post. Expiriment as follows.

2 gallon of bucket of off gassed and dechlorinated tap water that tests 0 for iron with my most likely innacurate fe test kit.

Dose tap water with recommended quantity of gluconate fe

Test immediatly with kit and then at 1 hour increments to get a feel for the test kit and the rate of oxidation/precipitation.

Conduct same experiment again with a bubbler in the bucket.

Do the same test over again with all the other ferts I intend to add to the tank in the right qauntities added to the 2gal bucket maybe with the exception of phosphate. This might shed some light on how the other ferts will interact/effect the levels/test kit.

Does this make sense with the exception of using up my whole fe test kit in one night:)

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
I very much doubt that your tap water whether gassed off or not will contain 0 Iron wether the test says so or not!!!

Iron is one of the really hard things to test for and as such I have no idea how the manufacturers get away with selling them still. lol

AC

jtparsons

Prolific Poster
Jan 18, 2009
Bellingham Wa
Ive read this over and over about the iron test. I should stop obsessing about trying to quantify everything with the tests and just let the plants growth show me if they need iron. Thanks :)