This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Iron experiment

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by jtparsons, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jtparsons

jtparsons Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:01 AM
    I think I have thought of a way to test my iron question/hypothesis I asked in my noobie question post. Expiriment as follows.

2 gallon of bucket of off gassed and dechlorinated tap water that tests 0 for iron with my most likely innacurate fe test kit.

Dose tap water with recommended quantity of gluconate fe

Test immediatly with kit and then at 1 hour increments to get a feel for the test kit and the rate of oxidation/precipitation.

Conduct same experiment again with a bubbler in the bucket.

Do the same test over again with all the other ferts I intend to add to the tank in the right qauntities added to the 2gal bucket maybe with the exception of phosphate. This might shed some light on how the other ferts will interact/effect the levels/test kit.

Does this make sense with the exception of using up my whole fe test kit in one night:)

2. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I very much doubt that your tap water whether gassed off or not will contain 0 Iron wether the test says so or not!!!

Iron is one of the really hard things to test for and as such I have no idea how the manufacturers get away with selling them still. lol

AC

3. jtparsons

jtparsons Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Ive read this over and over about the iron test. I should stop obsessing about trying to quantify everything with the tests and just let the plants growth show me if they need iron. Thanks :)