This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

iron chelate and PO4

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by marufovega, Jul 31, 2008.

1. marufovega

marufovega Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:56 PM
    ok, i read somewhere yesterday on this forum that iron chelate cannot be mixed with KPO4. is this true? if so, it may explain alot of my problems as i mixed my KNO3, KPO4, and CSM+B together in one solution. i'm dosing 150% EI but the plants don't look as good as i would expect and i'm having trouble with gsa, gda, and hair algae. please advise.

jd

2. marufovega

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    typo in the initial post. KPO4 should be KH2PO4.

jd

3. JJP2

JJP2 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Mixing the compounds in water might cause iron phosphate to form. This is not usable by plants. It would not cause gsa, bba or any other algae directly. It could allow algae to grow because your plants are missing phosphate or iron to grow well.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Agreed, I'd look at your CO2 levels and try and tweak those better.
    A good water change, cleaning, trimming etc helps a lot, then stay on top of the dosing, then tweak the CO2 slowly.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. marufovega

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    i was wondering how much phosphate would be taken out of the mix, actually. i was less concerned about the iron. i have read that low phosphate in a high light, high nitrate situation is a setup for gsa. but, given the fact that the iron concentration is probably low compared to the phosphate, i would guess that the concentration of phosphate would not drop much in the presence of the iron chelate. whereas, probably all of the iron precipitates out and becomes unavailable. is this correct?

in regards to the co2. it's pressurized. i continue to increase it. my bubble counter is practically foam. my drop checker is yellow. my diffuser is blowing a snowstorm in my tank(14g). fish don't seem to mind, so i guess there is room to increase it.

jd

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Seems like the CO2 is alright, so I'd add a lot more PO4.

CO2 and PO4 (too low or variable)= GSA.

Now CO2 might be a froath right now, but if the CO2 does not kick into high gear for 1-2-4 hours first..that will cause it as well.

You can try to resolve that by adding it 30-45 min prior to lights on.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. marufovega

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    yeah, guess i gotta get another timer for the co2. right now it comes on with the first bulb (24w cf) and turns off with it as well, 8hrs later. my other bulb (also 24 w cf) comes on midday for 3 hrs.

just dumped out my ferts and remixed with the traces seperate from the macros. increased the po4 50%. i'll see what happens.

jd