This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself and tell us what do you keep?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tom Barr, Aug 3, 2005.

1. keith fossella

keith fossella New Member

Local Time:
    5:47 PM
    Hey ya'll
    Getting back into this after a few years or more without a tank.
    Got a small 3.7 going and want to make it better.
    Also, I got a good deal on a 40 breeder that I'd like to make into a paludarium.

so far in the 3.7:
    1 Amano Shrimp
    2 Guppies
    1 goldfish
    1 Nerite snail

java moss
    java fern
    cryptocoryn
    dwarf hairgrass
    cyperus
    frill
    hygrophila

The biggest change in the hobby that I've noticed so far is lighting.
    I'm having a conniption trying to figure out what's what with LED's
    Which led me here..

So.. hi.. I'm Keith..looking for LED lighting help & advice
    thx

2. Cahen

Cahen New Member

Local Time:
    3:47 PM
    Hi everyone! My name is Cahen, I'm in Denver Colorado and I only have 2 active tanks at the moment, a Fluval Flora open top cube and a 36 gallon bowfront. Both are freshwater planted community tanks. Mostly tetras and a couple of GBRs. I began CO2 injection in the 36 gallon a few months ago and things are going well there, but I'm hoping to install an inline reactor soon to increase my efficiency. Currently I have CO2 flowing faster than I can count the bubbles, but my diffuser doesn't do a very good job breaking up the bubbles so I'm not seeing any pearling. I supplement with Easy Green from Aquarium CoOp and get quite a bit of growth but not what I'd like. Also looking at supplementing iron soon to see if that helps. My small Fluval tank is having some algae issues lately, so I'm playing with lighting levels and frequent water changes but the only thing that has helped so far is adding nerite snails. I met Tom last year at the AGA convention here in Denver, that was a treat for me because I've learned so much from him online over the last few years. Looking forward to being part of the community and learning more in the future!

3. Abe Caldwell

Abe Caldwell New Member

Local Time:
    Hello all my name is Abe and I love aquariums like the rest of you. I have a 37 gallon lightly planted tank. It used to be much heavier planted and I used to inject co2 but about a year ago I scaled back what I was doing. So now I just have an assortment of java ferns, an anubius, a couple small amazon swords and a large amazon sword, and some frogbit on top. I have one angelfish, 6 sterbai cory cats, 2 bn pleco one of them is albino, and 8 assorted platies five female three males. I know its overstocked some but they all have lived together peacefully for almost a year now. And all my levels stay where I want them for the most part. I have a fluval u4 underwater filter and a beamswork 30 in high lumen led with 128 7500k leds and 32 blue actinic for moonlight. I have my white and blue lights on for 8 and half hours with just the blue on for a few hours afterward for a moonlight watching while i watch my shows. All in all everything is going good for the most part. I will throw a couple pics on here of my old setup and now what i have now. First two pics are my old setup when I was much more ambitious. Had a few different fish that have been rehomed due to a few different things. then the last pic with less plants is from the other day.

12237966_1246652288693955_4529826758550720729_o.jpg

12540654_1289666724392511_1570411391007601400_n.jpg

28575721_2334519636573876_6314201678648180736_o.jpg

Phishless likes this.
  4. AlmightyZeusShortLegs

Local Time:
    2:47 PM
    Hows it going guys, i currently have 7 tanks al rimless and love all kinds of crypts and rotalas and rare erio, i love breeding shrimp and plecos

5. JCarter

JCarter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:47 PM
    Hey everyone. I've been a long time fan of this site. I'm somewhat new to aquariums. Got out of the hobby after a few years due to school and always moving for school. I've recently picked it back up. Starting with a Mr Aqua cube and a kessil 360 Tuna Sun. Apex controller with pressurized co2 and ferts from green leaf aquariums. Wish me luck :}

Shane Wilson likes this.
  6. JCarter

JCarter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    This was the last one I did. Taken right after initial planting. Every 4 months or so I'd get bored and rip it all out. And completely change the scape from the one before. This scape was after I was further along in my understanding of how propagation and trimming worked. Pogostemon Helferi, staurogyne repins, alternanthera reinecki (however you spell it), can't remember the rest. Thanks for looking!

FB_IMG_1509337459007.jpg

Makapo and Christophe like this.
  7. Carl Caudle

Carl Caudle New Member

Local Time:
    Hi All! I’m Carl & I live in Western North Carolina. I have kept multiple freshwater aquariums my whole life, mostly focused on a nice mix between low tech plants and fish.

I currently have two projects in the works. One is my first saltwater reef tank. The other is a 75g CO2 planted tank.

I look forward to learning a lot from the folks on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Carl Caudle

Carl Caudle New Member

Local Time:
    I failed to mention the fish I keep.

I enjoy keeping & breeding fancy Guppies. I also recently added some Endler’s Livebearers. I also have several types of tetras & raspboras. Last but not least, the tanks are home to some Pleco’s & Cory’s to keep the place tidy. A 10g tank is home to some Bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome Carl!
    Are you going to start a journal and show us some pics? :D

10. Robert McCoy Jr

Robert McCoy Jr New Member

Local Time:
  11. Drakthul

Drakthul New Member

Local Time:
    5:47 AM
    Hi my name is andreas, i am a junior horticulturist, i live in Indonesia.

i have growing plants under water since the year of 2005, i used to use my brother's ID to read some article Etc at barrreport, now i made one..:D

here is one of my tank i have documented on 2013 (picture on below)

it is a 250L highlighted tank.

treated with soft water and high fertilization.

nice to meet you guys.

Maintenance.JPG

SJL, Tim Harrison, Christophe and 3 others like this.
  12. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome Drakthul, awesome scape.

13. Loren Clarke

Loren Clarke New Member

Local Time:
    I have a dozen tanks all low tech expect one.

14. Loren Clarke

Loren Clarke New Member

Local Time:
    I also have a emersed tank and and a submerged TC grow out tank.

15. ChuckM6421

ChuckM6421 New Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,
    Decades ago during the College Years, I kept a 44 gallon glass box with lots of water and fish and gravel and plants. And a filter, as I recall. The guys in the dorm loved it.
    Time and lifetimes pass by and several years ago I found myself with a young daughter (and wife) and an itch to start another tank. A classmate of hers' family mentioned they had a lizard in a 20 gallon tank they were looking to part with. I don't know what happened to the lizard but we ended up with the tank and thus began this next phase in my aquatic adventures. It's been a fairly happy planted community tank for about 8-9 years now. My daughter never really took to it, but then she's a Virgo and I'm, of all things, a Pisces. Whatever.

At present, that 20 gallon watery world is about to undergo a world of change as I just picked up a 65 gallon CraigsList find and intend for everyone to make that their new home. As part of the deal I also took an older Fluval Edge 6 gallon for free which I've now rehabbed with new lights and filter and look forward to maybe shrimp and moss and grass and...? Currently the Edge is up and running with only water to put the hardware through its paces. The 65 gallon is in place and awaiting an AquaClear 110 and a shiny new Finnex Plant+ CC light which should arrive this week. At some point in the near future the old 20 gallon will become a sump/refugium. I should add that I've become fascinated by Novak's anoxic filtration ideas and I've built plenums into both the tanks, plan to use Saf-T-Sorb as a substrate.

Plants? Got some. Cryptocoryne, Lilaeopsis and some Java Moss. All seem healthy. The moss has really taken to a chunk of driftwood.
    Really looking forward to eavesdropping on the discussions here. The internet (which I was on before there was a web) has become quite the swamp (pun intended) and finding quality sources for information can be an exercise in grit, but I've already discovered some interesting things here (sure glad I just spent $44 on Eco-Complete!) and look forward to learning more.

My immediate interest is in installing my own found stone and wood and its' implications. I'm in a rural area where there's plenty. But I'll save that for my first question.

C.

16. jokochimpa

jokochimpa New Member

Local Time:
    Hey everyone, I currently have 2 lightly scaped 10 gallons and a 6.5 gallon with some CPD, Corydoras, Cherry Barbs, RCS, and a variety of snails. I played around with the DIY CO2(Citric+Baking Soda) but I just could not get the consistency I wanted from the "regulators" and gave up and went back to low tech.

I definitely have an itch to do something BIG! I am researching out doing either a 125g or 180g and building out a custom stand and sump. I most certainly plan on doing a journal when I actually start on this endeavor. After the tank and plants are good and established, I plan on exploring the wonderful world of Rainbows. Greggz has most certainly had an impact there :)

17. Joenav

Joenav New Member

Local Time:
    I have a 8 gallon nano low tech planted using miracle-gro soil with a 1 inch gravel cover. The crypts really took off. Just 1 cory cat and 1 Siamese algae eater plus 1 amano shrimp. I've put 3 to 4 other amanos but they disappeared. Perhaps I need a lid!
    I had a terrible algae infestation that I finally addressed this weekend. I installed a tiny inside filter to assist in clearing the water of all the algae I had swept loose while cleaning. it worked great!. I have a canister filter as well but it needs cleaning badly.
    Water parameters are 0 for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate; pH normal, water a little hard. I have not changed the water in months and I expect the light was on too long. Plus I was not dosing the water with any other additives. I figured the soil was enough.
    Currently have Cryptocoryne Undulata 'red', Cryptocoryne Wendtii Broad Leaf, Anubias, amazon sword, I had other plants but I took them out or they did not make it.

I have a 20 long not setup yet and 40 breeder tank not set up yet either. I've been slowly acquiring the needed equipment, substrate etc. Thinking of setting up the 40 gallon with a 2" flourite-red base for iron with a 1" cover of Azoo plant grower bed instead of using miracle-gro potting soil. I wonder if I should thicken the Azoo plant grower bed to 2 inches? I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank but I plan to replace it with the 20 gallon long.

Picture 1 is the start in July 2016, an emmersed planting to get them to root in the soil. Picture 2 is in August 2017. Picture 3 is April 2018
    Thanks!
    Joe
    8 gal July 2016 reduced.png 8 gal August 31 2017 reduced.png 8 gal April 28 2018 reduced.png

#117 Joenav, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. selleugraj

selleugraj New Member

Local Time:
    Hi, I've been back in the aquarium hobby for a couple of years now. Currently on my third tank as each one had it's problems. First was a Corallife Biocube 9gal which was ok but noisy and you had to fiddle with the filtration system too much. Second was an Eheim Aquastyle 4gal which was beautiful but I shattered the cover then the LED light failed due to contact issues plus there was no US support for the tank. Third and present tank is an ADA Cube Garden 30C or 7gal. Love this tank and ADA so much I almost went strictly ADA.

Current setup:
    -Tank: ADA Cubed Garden 30C (7gal)
    -Filter: ADA Super Jet ES-300 Spin Type
    -Lighting: (2) ATLEDTiS E6+
    -Heater: Hydor ETH Inline 200W, 1/2'
    -Power: Neptune Systems Apex Jr w/Energy Bar 4
    -Layout: Iwigumi with 15lbs Manten
    -Substrate: Amazonia Light with Power Sand Special
    -Plants: Micranthemum Monte Carlo, Alternanthera reineckii Mini, Bucephalandra Super Mini Catherinae, Fissidens Lahala Forest; Anubias Galaxy, Anubias Mini Coin, Anubias Chili
    -Live Stock: (1) Amano Shrimp; (5) Celestial Pearl Danio's

I plan on taking this high tech and @flowerfishs is squaring me away in that department.

In the past every time I was looking for answers to questions I had, 80% of the time I was led here. I joined because of @flowerfishs regulators but that's not the only reason. I always meant to join; flowerfishs was just the catalyst. Glad to be here and I'm really digging the site upgrade.

IMG_2252.jpg

Phishless likes this.
  19. Bob Larsen

Bob Larsen New Member

Local Time:
    4:47 PM
    Back messing with aquariums after several decades away. I found an old 20 gallon tank on a shelf and decided to see what I could do with it. I bought this tank back in around 1972 so it needed an overall.
    I always liked a tank light on fish and heavy on plants so I was easily drawn in to all the planted tank info on the web.
    The tank is up and running, with lots of plants and a few small fish..but I'm battling diatom algae. The 20 is improving. It should be fine with a bit of patience.
    I've moved on to a build using a 40 gal breeder. Retired guys need stuff to do...lol

Bob in Minnesota

20. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome Bob, it didn't really happen without some pics. :rolleyes:

Start a journal here, show us your plants and diatom algae!

Lite on Phish is good!