This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself and tell us what do you keep?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tom Barr, Aug 3, 2005.

1. wucy

wucy New Member

Local Time:
    3:23 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I have been browsing this site for a while to learn everything I can before starting my first planted tank. And here it is. I got some Anubis’s Nana, S Repens, AR mini. No idea what the other plants are.

2. rtbarr

rtbarr New Member

Local Time:
    I am a long time aquarium hobbyist, I have two planted tanks at present, a 10 gallon with an unknown grill-like plant I need to identify, and some shrimp. I also have a 29 gallon tank with Anubias that I bought about 20 years ago. This tank started as a planted discus tank, but my discus died years ago, and now it has a Flying Fox and a lone pork chop rasbora. I need motivation to finish these tanks.

My dream tank is a 75 gallon planted discus community tank with some cardinal tetras and maybe an Amazonian chiclid (blue rams?)or two. I have read about planted discus tanks and would love to hear from someone who has successfully managed one.

I tried to post this, but it was rejected as possible spam. I don’t understand.

rtbarr

BorneoHobbyist and Tim Harrison like this.
  3. Colby Rice

Colby Rice Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:23 PM
    Hey everyone! Been keeping fish for just over half my life, but about 5 years ago I got bit by the planted tank bug and all hell broke loose :D

I have kept a number of fish over the years, all fresh, mostly south american. I dabbled with malawi and tanganyikas a while back and just never got the same feel as I did for SA's/CA's.

180g synspilum breeding ground, also known as "the plant graveyard" because they chow _everything_

150g that currently houses all of my severum, some assorted catfish, a rescue eel, a lot of crypts and some lindernia (largely scaped by the cichlids)

40g co2 injected nursery tank, currently home to my mated pair of a. macmasteri some i. werner and a mess of c. pygmaeus and c. habrosus (too many different plants to list; it's also an overgrown mess currently)

20g long, lowtech albino longfin BN pleco breeding ground, largely bare bottom but some plants in pots/on hardscape (iguazu2009, crypts, moss and buce)

7.5g bowfront, lowtech, medaka and some shrimp (erios, more buce, dhg)

Assorted vases and food culture tanks as well, all contain plants, but mostly r. rotundifolia and subwassertang

More tanks in storage, but I gotta wait until we're settled in a new house so I can get my fishroom restored to its former glory.

I've also recently broken in to dart frog keeping after years of reading. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully even contributing if my failures in this adventure thus far can be of assistance to anyone!

BorneoHobbyist and Tim Harrison like this.
  4. BorneoHobbyist

BorneoHobbyist New Member

Local Time:
    5:23 AM
    Hi folks.

I am from Borneo. I have a 90 liter tank, the tank is 10 months old now. I have some buceps, alternanthera mini, green rotala, red rotala in my tank.
    Light on 10 hours per day, injected CO2 8 hours (CO2 start 1 hour earlier than light).
    Tank has some tetras, rummy and guppy(i found out guppy is pretty good at eating surface oil film).

Pretty much having headache with algae on the first few months of my tank, but through experience sharing by community I learned, and dealt with my algae.
    Planted tank is a hobby with much fun and yeah, i think i will have this hobby for the rest of my life.

Colby Rice likes this.
  5. Alan Hausted

Alan Hausted New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the welcome. A couple of years ago my kids set me up a terrarium. While looking for terrarium ideas, I came across aquascaping/ planted aquariums. I couldn't resist trying. I started a 40 gal breeder using dry start, using soil capped with black aquarium sand. Started with s.repens, baby tears. Once flooded I added ludwigia repens and Amazon swords. The ludwigia and swords pretty much took over. Had algae problems and allot of other beginner issues. Many times I would Google the problems and get directed here. Thought it was time to join. I'm planning a second 40 gal breeder. I've collected all the hardware. Just waiting for spring so I can order in my plants. Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge on this site.

20191229_113106.jpg

Colby Rice and Phishless like this.