This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Lightning

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rjugas, Jul 21, 2018.

1. rjugas

rjugas New Member

Local Time:
    12:39 PM
    I have just browsed a Dennerle webpage and found info about intermittent lightning. It's here:
    http://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/nano-light
    It claims that lightning in the morning followed by a few hours pause, then afternoon lightning, is the best. Its about 12 hours lightning overall.

Has anyone tested pr what's your opinion about this?

Odesláno z mého Redmi 4X pomocí Tapatalk

2. Jaap

Jaap Member

Local Time:
    The idea is that during the light phase the CO2 will drop, and the pause is there to let CO2 restore to the required level. Not really an issue if you have adequate CO2 supply.

Attached is a picture of an aquarium that followed Dennerle recommendations (however this aquarium did have adequate CO2 supply).

In my experience in stead of a pause, a short light boost (10 minutes) several times a day with really low light levels in between, seems to keep internodes on stemplants short but growth rates moderate (less pruning required).

aquarium_van_johan_van_der_werve.jpg

3. rjugas

rjugas New Member

Local Time:
    Dutch scape, dutch furniture :) Nice.
    So, how long are you lighting? And you are switching between two light sources?

4. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    If you do a search on siesta period, you will find diverse opinion on supporting or against split photo periods. I don't know who to believe that split photo periods will promote or confuse plant growth, or will it promote or reduce algae problem. It's all theoretical arguments with no control experiments to prove one way or another.

Ultimately, lighting to fit my life style matters . I do split photo periods so I can see and feed my fish in the morning, and again in the evening when I am home with 5 hour dark period in the afternoon.