Intake Outflow Dilemma

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
Need some advice regarding my intake and outflow tubes. I have 2 canister filters so 2 intake and 2 outflow. I am trying to figure out the best way to arrange the tubes. 1 of the canisters is going to take care of my CO2 reactor. I was thinking of placing the outflow of the reactor in the back corner of the tank. Where do I place everything else??

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I put my intake straighters down in the bottom corners at the back of the tank - they assist with creating current by pulling the water toward them. I then aim the outflows downwards but toward the centre of the tank (not too close to the surface, I aim downwards to push the CO2 enriched water deep into the water column).

I don't think there is a perfect science to this, just a need to experiement a bit and watch how the plants respond. Obviously putting the outflow too close to the inflow isn't going to be of much use.

If after a few weeks you notice some dead spots, a spot where the CO2 doesn't seem to be reaching (i.e. plant growth in that spot is not so good), you can tweak the aiming of the outflow to suit.

Scott.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
By the way, as I have a 6' tank, I actually split my CO2 outflow into 3 with a return at each end of the tank and a return in the centre. Each individual return has a valve on it for flow adjustment and I am able to swivel each return. The returns are located along the back top wall of the tank, and each return is aimed towards the front bottom wall. It's working well. I also have powerhead to assist in water movement.

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
scottward;42025 said:
By the way, as I have a 6' tank, I actually split my CO2 outflow into 3 with a return at each end of the tank and a return in the centre. Each individual return has a valve on it for flow adjustment and I am able to swivel each return. The returns are located along the back top wall of the tank, and each return is aimed towards the front bottom wall. It's working well. I also have powerhead to assist in water movement.

So put the intakes at the corners of the tank and the outflows in the center??

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Yes, that would work. Or you could also have the outlets on the ends but point one across the back wall and the other across the tank to the opposite far corner.

Or put both in the center and go outwards which will create a swirling effect.

You want to flow water past the plants and then hopefully to the intakes.

So many options as advised. It may take several configurations before you figure out the optimal config.

Please elaborate on your goals for the tank, size of tank, etc????

That will help with any reply.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
If you only had a single inflow and outflow, it would make sense to put them as far apart as possible, which would be obviously at opposite ends of the tank. As you have 2 sets, I guess you could put both inlets down one end and both outlets down the other, or, as Gerry suggested, you could put them in the centre and create a swirling effect at each half of the tank.

Do whatever is easiest first and see how that goes. I would only bother with more complicated hose routing etc if you don't have any luck with a basic arrangement.