Inline Diffuser Overkill?

BlueDemon

Mar 4, 2018
San Diego
As stated is an inline diffuser overkill for a 15 gallon tank? And can it be used in a submersible pump with an output of 500 L/H (132 US GAL/H)?

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
How are you going to set it up? Pump water out of tank, to the diffuser then back into tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
If so, you may be better off with a small in tank reactor. eBay or amazon has lots of em. What kind of filter are you using?
But to answer your question, no. Just make your bubble adjustment as you would with any diffuser, you’ll just be running less into it than a glass type diffuser.
If you have a canister filter that would be best. If your using a hob filter, you may consider just running the co2 directly into the intake. I’ve ran a 20 g for years with that setup and have had good results. Simple, and you get pretty good diffusion into the tank

Last edited:

BlueDemon

Mar 4, 2018
San Diego
I have a Fluval flex 15 gallon the filter hidden in a compartment in the back and next to the filter is another compartment where I have a submersible pump with enough space for a heater and an inline diffuser. The reason why I ask is because I currently have a glass diffuser but want to have a cleaner look without the hose and glass diffuser in the tank.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
It will do fine, maybe more than needed but hey CO2 is a common problem in many tanks. Just adjust the injection rate to get the desired CO2 conc.

Reactions: BlueDemon

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
I recently installed an inline on my 40b farm tank- plants LOVE it, but it does fill the column with a fine mist. I think it looks very similar to fresh mixed salt water lol.
I don’t mind it, but some do. one of the major advantages to using an inline atomizer is that it provides those small bubbles in a way that brings them into contact with leaves, thus providing a better chance for the plants to get more co2.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
If so, you may be better off with a small in tank reactor. eBay or amazon has lots of em. What kind of filter are you using?
But to answer your question, no. Just make your bubble adjustment as you would with any diffuser, you’ll just be running less into it than a glass type diffuser.
If you have a canister filter that would be best. If your using a hob filter, you may consider just running the co2 directly into the intake. I’ve ran a 20 g for years with that setup and have had good results. Simple, and you get pretty good diffusion into the tank

Actually there are very few in tank reactor in EBay or Amazon, but many in tank diffusers. I could only find two brands and bought the Tunze reactor. You can diy with a power head following Barr’s Venturi design.

You can run co2 into an hob intake, but it will wear out and shorten the life of the impeller due to cavitation, besides making blasting sound.

Reactions: ninemag

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
Actually there are very few in tank reactor in EBay or Amazon, but many in tank diffusers. I could only find two brands and bought the Tunze reactor. You can diy with a power head following Barr’s Venturi design.

You can run co2 into an hob intake, but it will wear out and shorten the life of the impeller due to cavitation, besides making blasting sound.

Hmmm... they may have quit selling them in the past couple days. I saw at least a half dozen last time I looked(this past weekend)

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
Hmmm... they may have quit selling them in the past couple days. I saw at least a half dozen last time I looked(this past weekend)

What I meant is internal reactor runs by its own pump, not those run inline by a canister that are plentiful in EBay. The op has an internal filter for his 15g, and dont want to run another canister to drive a reactor which is an overkill.

Last edited:

BlueDemon

Mar 4, 2018
San Diego
I went ahead and ordered the GLA inline diffuser and installed it yesterday.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/06BlueDemonSti/20180303_123957.jpg

20180303_123957.jpg

Attachments

• 20180303_123957.jpg
    20180303_123957.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
Gotcha- the internal type w pump is what I saw. Funny thing is that I was actually searching for a replacement inline atomizer when I found them all :) but, I think I’m loosing my mind! I just looked again and did t see em- but I KNOW I was just looking at them!
[emoji12]

BlueDemon

Mar 4, 2018
San Diego
Hahahaha don't you hate when that happens? I stay up all night doing research and the next day I can't find anything I was searching the night before