This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Initial Planting Preperation

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by FastFreddy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. FastFreddy

FastFreddy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:56 PM
    Hi guys. So I have accumulated the large majority of the equipment and materials I need for my 50 gallon planted. Starting to get pretty excited! I have a few questions before I get started.

My planned aquascape is mainly composed of fast growing stem plants as is recommended for a new tank. I noticed watching various YouTube videos and reading various articles with pictures that many who are skilled in plant keeping and aquascaping cut their stem plants in half prior to planting in order to end up with a large number of stems from a few purchased bunches. Obviously this sounds great to me as it means I would not have to buy as many plant bunches and thus, save some money. Is this a good practice? Will the plants grow as well? The plants I would cut like this would include Rotala, Hygrophila, Bacopa, Pennywort, Ambulia and Ludwigia.

Secondly, I am dosing full EI as outlined in Tom's article. Does it matter which day you start dosing after planting (as in dosing traces on the day you plant the plants is more effective than macro's)

Thanks for your help guys!

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Remember that the stems you cut in half will fall into two categories:

1. Top cuttings - these will have NO roots but have the better looking plant. These will regrow new roots eventually and look the best.

2. Lower cuttings - these will have the basal portion of the stem and the root structure. These should sprout new branches at the cut section but may look ugly until they sprout.

Some plants respond well to simply cutting the tops and letting it rebranch. Others however have to have the tops replanted.

EI can be started on day 1 if you want. I dose macros/micros daily but approx 4-5 hours apart...

3. FastFreddy

FastFreddy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry

Thanks for the advice once again. You've really been a big help. Unfortunately here in Australia the bunch plants we buy are cuttings and do not have any kind of root structure when purchased from the store. I was a little worried that the added trauma might reduce the stems chances of survival but it sounds like I was wrong. Thank you for the dosing advice also. I will start dosing on the day of planting.