This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Infrared effect plant growth?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by denske, Mar 4, 2015.

1. denske

denske Member

Local Time:
    10:55 PM
    I keep my emersed tanks in my garage and its hard to keep it warm in there, i was thinking of using a infrared heat lamp to warm up the tanks a little, does the infrared light have a negative effect on plants, my tanks are all cryptocorynes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Not really, warmth, dries them out etc. They sell those seedling heat mats for cheap. That's the best solution.

3. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I agree with tom, use either a heatmat if the setup is a dry method or I use a aquarium heater if the pots are sitting in shallow water.

What setup are you using? Do you have covers on them?

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    How cold is it in your area? I have been able to grow emmersed in the 50-60 degrees F range. Weather here won't go lower than that, I don't believe so...

5. denske

denske Member

Local Time:
    Inside the tanks are warm, i have heaters in the water. Its my garage thats the problem, it gets down in the 40's in there.

I found these heat lamps on a job i was on, and thought the red light from the infrared bulb might not only warm the garage a little, but help plant growth as well, i did some reading and it seems its big among pot growers to aid in blooming, they actually use it during the dark period after lights go out.

I just got a silly idea that maybe it would help in blooming some of my crypts as well, my plan wasnt to necessarily have them directly over the tanks, just maybe in the area of them so that the red light also lights the tanks a little.

Anybody know the difference between near and far infrared light?

Thanks guys.

6. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    Anyone have luck with substrate heaters like the Red Sea Root Therm or the Hydo HydroKable?

With the extra thick bottom glass of our nude tanks (frameless) one would think it would be a good heat conductor.

My 12G long is up on a counter and the canister filter is on a lower counter so I'm looking for a heater that can be hidden from tank view.