This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing water flow without disturbing plants?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by nerbaneth, Jun 21, 2009.

1. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    7:27 PM
    I have been trying to increase flow in my 20 gal to disperse the CO2 across the tank. My problem is that even my puny HOB Aqueon filter almost causes too much disturbance of the plants(they are pushed down by the flow and start to grow in a unnatural and unpleasant way.) I would like to add a small powerhead (around 75 gph or less)just to get more circulation, but I cannot seem to find a place to put it or aim it that won't push all the plants to one side.

Is there any technique to setting up the flow in the tank so it is not disturbing the plants? I know most of you guys use canister filters, but even on my 90 gal with a canister I experience this problem.

Thanks,
    Nerb

2. mi5haha

mi5haha Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    1:27 AM
    if you are using a spray bar for water outlet, you may drill another row of holes opposite the current location of holes, and the water is coming from the two opposite directions of the spray bar. One water flow to the tank front, and another to the back of the tank. That will reduce the flow speed by half.

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Loc line is a wonderful thing for problems like this. Using a small canniser aided by other small power heads can work as well. Us the glass to deflect the current if all else fails.

-Philosophos

4. cggorman

cggorman Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    You might consider looking into a Hydor Ario pump. Bury it in the substrate and let it blow straight up. It's designed as an aerator, so you would have to disconnect the venturi inlet (or connect it to your CO2 source).

[​IMG]

5. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    Hey thanks guys! That ario is interesting, At work we have one hooked into a volcano with a red LED(so the bubbles rising look like lava) its pretty cool if you are into that sort of thing. I will have to mess around with it and see if purchasing one will be in my future.

I think I might be replacing my HOB filter with a small canister. Any ideas on a decent canister for a 20 to 50 gal? (I'm also considering replacing my 20g H with a 50H - its kind of like a 75 gal but only 36" long)

Thanks guys! Barr report is always helpful.
    -Nerb

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nerb,

I use a magnum canister 350 model on my 45 gal and it does a great job.

Very quiet and works well. Pretty easy to maintain and clean.

Or maybe one of the smaller eheim models.

Hope this helps.

7. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    I solved my flow problem (until the purchase of a canister). This could definitely be a great technique to those who are trying to improve flow if the canister isn't powerful enough.

I lowered my 75gph powerhead all the way to the bottom of the tank and pointed it towards the thick bush of plants that it was closest to. The base of the plants are so strongly rooted that they are not disturbed by the flow, and they make the pinpoint flow out of the powerhead into a very wide flow that is carried throughout the whole tank. I also placed my glass diffuser right in front of the powerhead.

Yay for improving CO2 disbursement

8. anafranil

anafranil Junior Poster

Local Time:
    how can someone tell that circulation is not enough?in other words how can you tell if nutrients are dispersed well throughout the tank?