This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing o2 in order to increase co2??

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by krissy, May 26, 2015.

1. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:50 AM
    So.since o2 and co2 and Independent of eachother, would increasing o2 make it so that I can increase the ppm of co2??

I read before that surface agitation is no good In order to keep the co2 in the water. But no surface agitation would decrease o2 therefore limiting the amount of co2???

So if I create more surface agitation and increase o2 by doing so, my levels of co2 would increase? ?

Sorry for the complicated question.

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    11:50 PM
    With a ton of surface agitation, you can still gas your fish out. So it all depends on how you blast the co2.

3. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Surface agitation does not decrease O2 nor does it limit CO2. It only allows the transfer of gasses between atmosphere and water to equilibrium. Fish, microbes, and chemical processes require O2, thus depleting it. Surface agitation allows atmospheric O2 to dissolve into the water to restore depleted O2 levels. It also allows any excess CO2 in water to equalize with the atmosphere.

4. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    My goal is to increase my co2 levels to like 40 ppm. Surface agitation should help right?? I read that increasing o2 levels will also increase the co2 Levels..

#4 krissy, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  5. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Surface agitation should increase of levels. That's what lily pipes are supposed to accomplish right???

When I used to grow plants hydroponics, I used powerheads to create a tornado through surface agitation and thus oxygen for the roots.... better than air stones...

6. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    No, increasing O2 does not automatically increase CO2 levels. You'll have to add it separately.

Lily pipes are primarily aesthetic in purpose.

7. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yes, I meant to say that increasing o2 will allow me to add more co2 so my fish and my plants will be happy.

8. Kathy Yata

Kathy Yata Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Lily pipes can create a tiny vortex that pulls scum from the surface which increases gas exchange. I don't know if they provide a ripple at the same time but they certainly can do that if they aren't adjusted to make that vortex. And they sure look good doing it!

9. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    krissy - yes, increase surface agitation or movement. This will help increase O2 a little or at least keep it stable. This small increase in O2 (we're all told) will help the fish tolerate a little more CO2 without discomfort. But if all you want is to reach 40 ppm or so, no worries. Fish aren't going to be very uncomfortable at 40-50 ppm CO2. But go up slowly. You might think you're at 40 and actually be at 70. If fish are gasping at surface, back off.

O2 is important in a planted tank. This is an under-appreciated fact. Not just to allow you to increase CO2 levels, but to keep the nitrification process efficient. This will help you keep the dissolved organics lower which in turn reduces algae. Lots of benefits all around. I work with the assumption that CO2 is cheap and I don't mind losing a little thru surface agitation. I use pretty vigorous surface agitation because I don't have wet-dry/sump. Hanging on to a few ppm of CO2 by reducing surface agitation is not worth the cost of reduced O2.