Increased my lighting should I increase ferts?

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM
I just went from a 2x55 to 4x55. I have been dosing 2x a week .5ts kno3, 1/16 K2S04 and 4ml of flourish or CSM+B. I am thinking about going to 3x a week. I do a 50% wc weekly too.

Do you think I should leave it where it is or increase.

Thanks

Rick

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Increased my lighting should I increase ferts?

I would definately increase the ferts and the CO2 also! The increased amount of light is going to drive up the fert and CO2 usage.

I did something 2 years ago similar to what you are doing now...replaced a 40w strip with 110w of CF lights. I did not think to adjust my ferts and CO2 at the time. The tank quickly let me know something was amiss with thread algae, hair algae, and some stunted P. stellatus.

I would go to 3x a week and maybe even double the Flourish/CSM+B additions.

I assume your tank is a 55g or larger by your dosing...

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM

OK thanks. It is a 55 gallon. I Think I will go 3x a week then on the KNO3 and phospate. In my tank anything with iron tends to promote an olive drab hair or fuzz algae that grows on the eco complete or the top leaves on the tank. I will go lightly with the Florish and see what happens.

Rick

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Sounds fine, add more CO2 also.

You know those tanks with so much pearling ?
That so what you should see and if you do EI, adding enough CO2 is all that's left, so do EI,and add enough CO2 till you see that type of growth.

Now recall that growth for future reference when things go sour later, and remember to go after the CO2 if you see less pearling etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM

OK I am adding more co2. I am at Ph 6.1 KH 6. The plants are bubbling good and the fish seem fine. My previous low with the Ph was 6.5.

How high do you recommend I take it? I calculate Iam near 140ppm. Can this be right or is my KH kit messed up? At what level do fish start to show signs of distress and are the only signs hanging near the surface?

[email protected]

Prolific Poster
Apr 24, 2005
Vermont

My fish would head to the surface gasping for air at about 60ppm. Most people say 40 is the borderline where you are getting in danger zone. You can be pretty sure you're not at 140ppm if your fish are alive.

In Tom's EI article he says the range for CO2 is 25-35ppm.

Bill

rrguymon said:
OK I am adding more co2. I am at Ph 6.1 KH 6. The plants are bubbling good and the fish seem fine. My previous low with the Ph was 6.5.

How high do you recommend I take it? I calculate Iam near 140ppm. Can this be right or is my KH kit messed up? At what level do fish start to show signs of distress and are the only signs hanging near the surface?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

If the fish are okay, then you are fine, I would not go lower, if the plants are growing and looking good, algae is no longer growing etc, then that is enough.

Often times, the test kits etc, simple do not suggest enough CO2 is really present. Sometimes there seems to be much more CO2 ppm than possible and still have fish alive.

Test methods are good for getting close, then taking a leap of faith and slowly add more till you see excellent growth pearling etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr