In need of some Help for my quearies!!

chris81

Prolific Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Malta
Hi Tom and all,

I am currently running a dry start method in my 90 x 40 x 40 cm tank. Lighting is 3 x 39 watt T5 tubes on for 8 hrs and substrate is composed of Aquatic Nature Fertiplant and fertisoil and a top layer of flourite black. Plants are glosso, pogostemon, Lilaeonopsis and Elocharis. Filtration 2 x 1200 l/hr external filters and pressurised co2 with aquamedic 1000 reactor on one filter and a co2 atomiser attached to the other.

Questions and concerns:

1. I have some form of algal growth growing on some glosso plants. WOuld it be best to remove them prior to flooding or is there any way to remove algae from leaves?

2. I am a bit confused with respect to initial fertilisers to use. Should i immediately be dosing E.I or should i limit N and P during the initial phases? NB: SUbstrate used lacks N and tank has been running dry method since october!

3. ANother uncertainty i have is the photoperiod. SHould i start with a 5 hr photoperiod and increase it gradually to a 8 hr one or should i immediately start with an 8 hr one.

4. I plan to perform half tank water changes every alternate day during the first 2 weeks so as to reduce likliness of algal blooms. IS this good practice??

5. I understand that after flooding plant must undergo an acclamitisation period but if wilting occurs can one distinguish from it being due to acclamatisation visavi any limiting factor.

Sorry to have bombarded you with questions.

ANy help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Chris

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I would use 2x 39 W bulbs only for now.

CO2 is the key.
Patience for the tank to settle is in another.
More water changes can help.

You seem to have most things under control, but do not feel too secure. Relax, do what you have planned, add ferts, trim off algae, add algae eating shrimp , SAE's etc.

8hrs is fine.

Trim any leaves with algae off.

Regards,
Tom Barr

chris81

Prolific Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Malta
Thanks Tom,

I just want to have everything well established prior to floding so as to limit mishaps as much as possible from the start.

Thanks a lot for all your advice. This site is awesome.

Thanks again.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Patience and experience is what you need at this point really.

Regards,
Tom Barr

chris81

Prolific Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Malta
Thanks Tom,

Patience is not a problem with me but i must admit my experience is no were close to your 's and other members in this forum. Thats why this forum is a blessing as i ve learnt so much from it.

Another question if i may my lighting luminiere has 4 t 5 tubes, eventually when i switch to 3 tubes which would be the best to switch off?? One of the middle ones or the back one??

Thanks a million again.

Chris

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Always the middle, leave the outside on, this gives the best spread for light at lower levels and best color for fish.

Regards,

Tom Barr