I'm so confused :( please read over my plans!

Maeglin

Junior Poster
Jan 10, 2016
The more I read, the more confused I get! Can someone please look over my plans?

I want to start a low light, medium maintenance planted tank.

It's a 20 gallon long, currently with a 6 watt blue and white led light, although I'm happy to upgrade that if insufficient

I'm thinking of using Fluval Plant & Shrimp Stratum, and dossing with liquid carbon daily and fertiliser once weekly.

I wanted to plant a carpet of Staurogyne repens, as well as water wisteria, Anubias nana and Telanthera

I also wanted jungle val, but apparently that doesn't do well with liquid carbon. Any similar suggestions please?

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
I'd toss the 'liquid carbon.' It's really not liquid CO2 that most people think it is. It's toxic glutaraldehyde. As long as your light is low, you'll be fine. Stick with the Wisteria, Anubias, Val, may be a few crypts. Stauro carpet may or may not work - no harm in trying. Alternanthera (Telanthera) probably will need a little more light. Pass on high light plants until you master this.

Again, as long as you keep light low and go with easy plants, you will be fine.

Take the plunge. Make a few mistakes. Learn from it. Go from there.

Kathy Yata

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2015
My son set up a 20 long and put on a 30" Finnex Stingray. It's 16 watts and provides low medium light. He has pennywort covering much of the surface but I think you will find happy wisteria will do the same. Pretty color to the light as there are red diodes included.

You have to go for it and then be patient as usually plants will actually die back to a certain extent before they take off.

Anubias isn't crazy about getting dosed with Excel either. It will grow deformed leaves.

Maeglin

Junior Poster
Jan 10, 2016
Thank you. I can't get a Finnex Stingray in Australia, but I'll look for a similar light system. I'll ditch the excel and just give it a go.

I think I was just overwhelmed by all the information and stressing too much :)