I'm getting green algae on my glass....el natural

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm trying a non-co2 'el natural' tank which so far is doing splendidly, BUT within the last few days I have developed a fair bit of green (dust?) algae on the glass. It's not hurting anybody yet but it's unsightly. Would this indicate any type of deficiency, or is it just something I have to deal with in a low maintanance tank? I also just added a full fish load and this algae started around the same time. I guess that indicates something but I'm not sure what. It's testing 0 ammonia (but....with a full fish load there probably was a minispike of some kind, although probably undetectable). Should I scrape it off or leave it alone?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
It looks to me like a thin GDA attack can be easily controlled by carefully wiping down the glass every week, then draining and refilling. It always comes back after that, but as long as it isn't the attack that quickly becomes totally opaque why not just add that to regular maintenance?

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I might try that. The glass is very translucent even now, it seems that the algae started up quickly after I added the fish and then slowed down or almost stopped growing, I haven't noticed any new growth in the last two days. Probably almost definitely due to a slight ammonia spike when I introduced the fish. Also I removed the filter at the same time. So I'll clean it off and see what happens.