This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Breaking Up With Eheim. Can You Recommend A Filter?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by heavensabvus1, Oct 28, 2019.

1. heavensabvus1

heavensabvus1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:04 PM
    I had two Eheim 2028s on my 120 gallon planted tank. Over the years, I've replaced all the seals and rings many times. And over the years I've had the dreaded leak from the power cord area many times. Even the priming ring has been replaced. This is a known issue with these filters.

I got rid of one of them months ago after I was unable to stop the constant trickle from the power cord. Getting rid of it -- and not replacing -- wreaked havoc on my tank and I've been battling algae since. Now the second one has developed the constant slow trickle.

It usually starts when you turn off the filter for maintenance or if there's any type of back pressure. And the trickle is slow. But I'm done.

The only thing worse than hearing water alarms go off in the middle of the night is having your roommate call you in the middle of the night because of them -- while you're on vacation. I hear the sound of those water alarms in my nightmares sometimes. Seriously, I don't want to have to deal with this any more, and even if I could get this to stop, I don't care.

They lasted quite a few years...but getting parts from Eheim was not always easy. They failed to respond to emails and phone calls on more than one occasion. And on a couple of other occasions, they sent parts the slowest possible way, while my tank (and I) were in distress.

Can you recommend a rock solid canister filter that will fit under a 120 gallon (4x4x2)? Something NOT known for having leaking issues. Long-lived, easy to change filter media. Good flow rate. I also have a Koralia for flow if that's helpful. I'm open to all suggestions, all prices, all brands. Thanks.

2. EdWiser

EdWiser New Member

Local Time:
    7:04 AM
    I use a super jet 1200. Rock solid

3. heavensabvus1

Local Time:
    The super jet 1200 looks like a beauty, but out of my price range! Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. EdWiser

EdWiser New Member

Local Time:
    7:04 AM
  5. CRS Fan

CRS Fan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Being that you have only used the Pro 3 model, I would suggest using the Eheim Classic Line (possibly the 600 or the 2262)? These are a tried and true line. I found that the Pro 3’s also had issues and therefore moved away from using these or the newer versions of the same filters. Just food for thought.

Respectfully,

Stuart

#5 CRS Fan, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. heavensabvus1

Local Time:
    Thanks Stuart.
    I've only used the 2024s and 2028s and leaking was an issue with both.
    Have you had good experience with the classic line then and NO leaking issues? I'm open to checking them out. Really, truly, I sometimes wake up at night hearing that water alarm and it's just a bad dream. It's really unsettling having repeated leaking issues with 120 gallons sitting on a hardwood floor.

7. CRS Fan

CRS Fan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have yet to have a classic leak (I’ve owned the 2213 (250), 2215 (350), and the 2217 (600) with no issues to date. I’ve had multiple friends who have used the 2262’s (1500XL) with excellent results. The only reason my friends sold their 2262’s was to move to a sump system.

Respectfully,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 CRS Fan, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  8. nel

nel New Member

Local Time:
    2:04 PM
    I had a 2028 for nearly 10 years and I wasn't aware how loud and how little flow it had at the end. I switched to Sunsun 303B and have it for a year now. For the price I've bought the 2028, I could buy 6 Sunsuns. So I'm not such a big fan of Eheim any more. Especially after an Eheim heater wanted to boil my fish.

rajkm likes this.
  9. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have used API Filstar (AKA Rena Filstar) canister filters for a long time. The design of these filters has not changed over the years, which I take to mean they have been very successful. I once operated five Size 3 filters on my 200 gallon for at least three years without incident, which I then gave to a friend who still uses them.

rajkm likes this.