This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

I'm back and wondering if the experts would way in

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Infulgeo, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Infulgeo

Infulgeo Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    12:53 AM
    Hey guys haven't posted in a bit but i've pretty much decided i will have several forms of aquatic life as soon as the house is renovated. In the mean time i want to test my situation (Being sick) and see if i can handle a tank in general.
    I know that nano's can be really difficult but i was wondering if i used the low tech method and kept just like a 10-15 gallon with a few fish or a betta if it would still be really low maintenance and manageable. My thought process is that i could get the hang of small dosing and see if this could all work out for me. Unfortunately i don't have any more room for a tank bigger than a 10-15 gallon really.
    Suggestions, comments, questions? Please weigh in and help me out :)
    Stocking:
    2-5 fish that are an inch or less
    OR
    Betta

Maybe some shrimp? keep the tank clean?(hate snails :p)

Plants:
    Corkscrew Vals
    -Dwarf Hairgrass Parvula

thanks for the continue assistance,
    -Nick

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No Expert I, Not That That Ever Stops Me Answering!

Hi,

I do not see a problem either way. :)

I recommend a deep sand bed. :gw

No need for canisters filters or sump; just an internal pump of 7-15 times turnover, even an air pump and air stone arrangement can be sufficient.

Not much to it; you can experiment with 2-liter soda bottles, half-gallon or gallon jars. :)

Patients more than skill. :cool:

Biollante

#2 Biollante, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Infulgeo

Infulgeo Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    15 times turn over wouldn't blow the plants into the wall or anything would it?
    thanks,
    -Nick

4. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    0.5 To 40 Volumes Per Hour Will Do

Hi Nick,

No, 15 or even 25 times tank turnover per hour will not harm the plants. I run a little tank here on my desk at 32-35 turnovers per hour. :eek: The plants adapt. :) If you do the arithmetic on even slow moving water in rivers or lakes, you will find the current we develop in our aquariums doesn’t even come close.

For a DSB really low turnovers work as well. I know of some folk that recommend less then one tank turnover per hour, I am not sure of the rationale.

I have run DSB with air pumps and stones for years that work wonderfully and grow plants well. :)

A decent air pump and a few air stones or “wands” will actually move a considerable volume of water creating good flow. :cool:

Biollante

#4 Biollante, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  5. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi infulgeo,

I am running a Rena xp2 on my 10g and it's just perfect.

6. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    How Simple, How Complicated & How Able Are We When The Seal Breaks

Hi Nick,

Using a canister filter as barbarossa41(6?)22 suggests, is an answer, however it complicates the maintenance a bit. It will allow higher critter loads and requires a bit less patients in getting started.

The question of your health now and your prognosis, since the tank is something you can enjoy for many years.

Having spent a couple of years seriously ill myself and having to manage a chronic condition, I know maintenance schedules take a back seat to the realities of our health.

I am in the fortunate situation of having helpers that care for my complex systems. :) People that know what to do when the seal breaks and the water is on the floor. :(

During those years I developed a real appreciation for three of my tanks that I could care for myself, mostly. It gave me great comfort to have something I knew I could handle myself and if I was unable for a little bit, someone could feed them every now and again, top off the water and nothing bad would happen.:)

Once you move up the technical complexity scale more attention has to be paid to other issues. :gw

Biollante

#6 Biollante, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  7. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Nick,
    Marineland makes the Duetto internal multi-filter (DJ-100) that would provide 7-9 times turnover. I have one running on a timer in a ten gallon planted tank for added circulation when I want it, mostly at night. Remove all of the filter media to keep from cleaning it once a week (keep the AC filter for emergencies). It's an option, but any small power head would likely work. As Bio points out, a small DIY CO2 generator might be easier to care for then you think. Yeast generators require patience as much as anything. Good luck.