Ideal water temp for Alternanthera

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Hi,

What is the ideal water temp for Alternanthera?
My tank is set to 25 C or 77 F.

Greetings Dirk

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Warmer Then Your Average Alligator Weed Flea Beetle.

From what I've read about Alternanthera philoxeroides, 26ºC would be close to the lowest optimal temperature for Alternanthera of 25º C. Upper optimal temperatures for population growth are around 32ºC. My guess is your plant would be somewhere in that range.

I hope this helps.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
It Will Take over Whatever The Temperature

Hi,

If you purchased the plant it is more likely to be Alternanthera Aquatica than Alternanthera philoxeroides, either way it is a noxious weed that grows quickly, it likes warmer temperatures. :)

Either will take over a tank quickly both grow emerged very well A. Aquatica is the prettier plant (I think).

To answer your specific question Tug is right, warmer is better. In general Brian is correct it will grow well at 25 C (77 F).

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
It is a real pain to grow it submerged if under high/medium light. It is very tricky with CO2 too. Even Tom suggested shading it for a more consistent growth. It will grow but after some weeks/months, old leaves will decay too early. I'm curious to see the comments of someone having it for many months without issues

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi,
A. reineckii - Many months, many temps, EI, high light, high CO2, no issues.
Only grows half as fast as your average stem though....
2398148080038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks guy's

I think mine is a cardinalis. I have bought it about 1o years ago for a different tank. This one has a very different setting. 240 watt HQL light above a 90 gallon tank.
I struggle with green alg on the leaves. I have raised the CO2, NO3, PO4 and the trace elements.
So I hope it will does better now. I was not sure about the temp. For some reason I cant recall no I had change the temp from 78 to 76. I have it now on 77.
I know it grows a bit slower. In the old set up it did even slower. Now I think it will, grow a inch a week.

It was hard for me and mu wife to adjust to the EI way of thinking. But now I am convinced.

Greetings Dirk

vrchards

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2010
Your Temp is quite good. I think your minimum temprature should be more than 25 degree. ok
The striking green and crimson or lilac foliage and upright growth habit of alternanthera cardinalis and lilacina make them ideal freshwater aquarium plants. They do best in soft water with a slightly acidic pH, moderate to bright light and a temperature range of 75 to 80.6 degrees.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
An A. Reineckii By Any Other Name...

Hi Dirk,

Alternanthera cardinalis and Alternanthera reineckii are the same plant.

I think you are doing quite well, get the CO2 stable, make sure there is some room for each plant allowing circulation. :)

Good luck,
Biollante

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks.

It did very well when I changed my flow. But then there was a other corner where the plants start to slowdown.
So I set it back. Then the Alternanthera get in to trouble again.
So I installed a other outflow thingy en increased the CO2 to 40 ppm

Every thing is bubbling great so I think I am on the right track.

I just was not sure if 25 was high enough.

Greetings Dirk

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Lower the light, mine does well in a shaded section.
HQI 250W?

hehe...........light drives CO2/nutrients, so management will be harder for it, unless you place it under someother plants(eg myrios etc).

coralredwrkpencilfishtank.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Tom,

The HGL lamps I use have two settings 80 or 120 watt.
The are both on 120 now. My idea is give it a go with 40 ppm CO2 and plenty of al the other stuff and looks what happens.
When that does not help, I set the lamp above the Alternanthera on 80 watt.
I want the alternanthera to be a big peace of the scape. Almost to the top.

Greetings Dirk