This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal water parameters for Hornwort

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by evangemeren, Feb 27, 2014.

1. evangemeren

evangemeren Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:50 AM
    Even though i have heard from many sources that Hornwort is supposed to be a very hardy plant, I seem to manage to be able to kill it within a week or two every time.

I am trying to use it as a nutrient sponge to absorb excess nitrogenous waste, as well as provide a supplementary food source. I am trying to grow it free-floating in a refugium separate from my main display tank. My primary aquarium inhabitants are aquatic turtles which will eat it straight away if I try and keep it in the main tank with them.

The refugium is supplied by water from the display tank via a built-in overflow ... the refugium is an Aqueon ProFlex Model 2. The return pump is a Tunze 1073.05 variable speed DC pump that passes around 450 GPH back to the display tank.

The refugium has a dedicated Aquaray GroBeam 1500 ultimo LED tile (6500K) so I think I have more than enough light.

I have a pressurized CO2 system (the "Ultimate CO2 System" from Green Leaf Aquariums) with a 60mm Atomic Diffuser in the main compartment of the refugium, with a Milwaukee MC122 pH Controller set to switch off the solenoid when the pH drops below 7. I also fertilize with Seachem's Flourish twice per week according to the instructions on their label.

I prepare all my water from a Spectrapure RO/DI unit, and then re-mineralize the water using Seachem Equilibrium and buffer using a 2.5:1 ratio of Seachem's Alkaline Buffer to Acid Buffer.

I perform a 25% water change every week.

My water parameters are pretty much rock-steady at a pH of 7.5, GH of 3 meq/L, and KH of 3 meq/L. Water temp is 78 degrees F.

So ... what am I doing wrong?

I have tried purchasing Hornwort from several different suppliers, but no matter what I do it dies within a week or two.

Thoughts?

2. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    9:50 AM
    i suspect there is not enough macro nutrients in your water. did you test for those?. an excess of copper levels could be also. i found hornwort likes still or very gentle water.