Ideal Aquarium size for Aquascaping

eddtango

Prolific Poster
May 20, 2005
What is the ideal aquarium size for Aquascaping? Long,narrow and tall,72" x 18 x H=28" or shorter but wider, 48" x w=24" x h=24"?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Front to back distance is very useful when planting. Height is useful if you want to grow some of the plants that like to grow tall. Length just gives you the perception of a bigger tank. Those are just my opinions.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's very hard to say.
Many folks have different ideas they want to display in their scape.

I often try and match the rocks and wood to a tank, rather than the reverse.........

You need a great deal of hard scape materials to do a tank properly, you end up not using most of it.

Small cube tanks, larger deep tanks, each has it's own elements that work.
But as Vaughn state, deep front to back tanks are great.

I do tanks for myself, not for a contest, that is something folks will always want keep in mind, it's for themselves, not a contest.

Regards,
Tom Barr

|squee|

Junior Poster
Jan 30, 2005
Singapore
Amano has mentioned that the 90cmx45cmx45cm tank is the "standard" tank for aquascaping, easiest to scape with or something like that.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well it depends on the scaping materials at hand and the idea etc.
I'd say more a tank that's deeper fronm to back than high would give a much larger appearance.

Regards,
Tom Barr

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH
I know this thread is a little old, but just thought I'd add another consideration when choosing a tank size and that is how far you can reach into it. I know they make long tools, but long tools are much harder to work with than with your hands up close.

For my 72x24x24 tank I cannot reach the bottom back of the tank with my hands while standing in front of it as result I had to locate the tank in an area where I could walk all the way around it. If my tank were any wider I would not be able to reach the bottom middle of the tank without a snorkel.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm not sure that's so much the issue with the tank, rather the hood design layout you might have in mid or the stand height, some foklks are shorter and have shorter arms than others, by a factor of nearly 2X.

I design tanks for max access to the front lip, not hood lips in my way, easy open top designs and access is complete, I also tend to like chair height stands, so 24-30", I can stand a gets into most tanks.

For higher tanks or stands, I tend to shoot for about 40-45", but if the tank is tall, then it goes back to the 24" height, because if the tank is 30-48" high, it's means that view is 24" to 54-72" which is eye level or higher for most folks standing.

Regards,
Tom Barr