Ich (yuck!)

R

Russ

This topic is probably a black hole, but I have a 46 gallon with rainbows, tetras , barbs, and some C. ansorgii that all have a nasty case of ich. I raised the temperature to 84F and have been treating with Seachem ParaGuard for 6-7 days. It seems to go from one species to the next. The rummynoses have it now.

Can anybody offer any advice about getting this stuff off of my fish and out of my tank?

thanks,

Russ

R

Russ

Re: Ich (yuck!)

Thanks for the reply. I do 50% weekly water changes and vacuuming the gravel isn't an option since the substrate is covered with marsilea minuta and crypts.

Are there people out there who have had luck with chemical treatments? If so, what?

-Russ

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Have you considered adding aquarium salt? Seems to relieve the stress in several species and could help with the weakness allowing ich to get hold.

--Mike

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

I haven't had ich in my tanks in a long time, but when I did I raised the temperature to the 90's for a few days. That took care of the ich, and the plants and fish were unaffected.

R

Russ

How much salt should I add? Doesn't it kill the plants?

As for elevated temperatures, how long can I keep fish like Puntius denisoni, Rainbows, Rasboras, and Apistogramma cacatuoides at 85ºF+ or at 90º+? Does 90º+ for 3 days really kill it? I've read where any treatment must be continued for 14-16 days.

Thanks once again.

-Russ

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

As long as you don't have any salt sensitive fish (scaleless fish, loaches, etc) go with a normal dose according to the directions. Otherwise a half or less, I think.

As for temperature...I've never heard any recommendations for temps over 84.

--Mike