This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

I need help!!

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rs18alpha, Oct 4, 2017.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    3:40 PM
    Ok here we go.
    My new set up is 12 days old and I have what looks like brown cloudy water and the sand has some brown on it.
    Here's my tank set up
    Fluval 70 hob fikter
    Twinstar 900S led
    1 Hydor 180gph pump
    A Chichiros Algae inhibitor This is the first time I've tried this.
    CO2 injection
    Fluval Stratum substrate
    Caribsea Aqua sand
    lights are on for 8 hours a day
    The CO2 comes on 1 hour before the lights turn on
    and it goes off 2 hours before the lights turn off. I was trying to start off slow with the CO2 at first.In my old tank the CO2 turned off 1 hour before the lights turned off.
    I use liquid ferts
    I don't really now how to describe the brown, it looks like brown cloudy water.
    I use old Manzanita wood so no brown water from this.
    Check out the pics I hope they help. Cam pics 10-17 685.JPG Cam pics 10-17 685.JPG

Cam pics 10-17 686.JPG

Cam pics 10-17 687.JPG

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    7:40 AM
    What the problem is?
    36svUoS.jpg

Add some purigen or carbon to filter get rid of tannins

3. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    3:40 PM
    I don't have anything that would cause tannins. My Manzanita wood is an old piece.

4. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    10:40 AM
    Can we see a picture of the manzanita? Age of driftwood does not preclude tannin release, particularly if it has recently been reintroduced to a tank. Wood stays preserved if kept fully wet or fully dry. Wood rots when it transitions between wet and dry. If your wood has recently made a transition, it might be decomposing a little.

That said, it might not be tannins. Is the discoloration on your sand something resting on top of it (ex: organics like mulm, plant waste)? I'm not familiar with the anti-algae treatment you recently began using, but if it was effective in killing a large quantity of algae, that might be the culprit. Algae doesn't just disappear - like all living things, including you and me, it eventually turns into a brown mush. With enough water current, that brown mush can stay suspended in the water column, leading to brown water.

My third guess would be decomposing aquasoil, though I don't have a lot of personal experience in that area.