This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advise about Osmocote fert.

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by vinniemabuna, Feb 17, 2011.

1. vinniemabuna

vinniemabuna Junior Poster

Hi, this is my first post on this site wow alot of info great site! This is about Osmocote , I have the indoor-outdoor osmocote. I read about putting a few pellets in 1/2 of an ice cube tray and freezing them and then putting them down deep into the substate. Is this pretty safe for the fish- tank if in the future the half used pellets come to the surface after a plant is pulled out of the substate ? PS how well does osmocote work compared to other ferts for the gravel ?

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Yes it's absolutely safe and it happened all the time in my previous tank with several Cory/Otto cats and shrimps feeding at the bottom.
    The only event it can be harmful that I can think of is if the amount is too much, NH4 may be too high.

I'm not sure about this. I've not seen obvious difference in any fert tabs. May be because
    there is enough in water column.

#2 nipat, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  3. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Same here. I see some yellow Osmocote Plus pellets on top of the gravel all the time. I just push them back in the gravel, no big deal. I been dosing Osmocote for 8 months now with no problems. Btw, you can use "00" size gel caps from Ebay(real cheap).