I need a recommendation

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Hi,
I don't usually do this type of thing and maybe it will get me banned because this has nothing to do with planted tanks. :) But I'm looking for a decent forum, like this one, for saltwater. Does anyone know of any? I'm totally fed up with the few I've tried so far, I only just started researching a few days ago and I feel like I already know more about saltwater tanks than most of the people posting their 'advice.' Ugh. You know what I mean. This site taught me everything I know that's worth knowing about planted tanks because I know the information I get here is GOOD. I need another site like this for saltwater....any recommendations?

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Yes. There are probably many very knowledgeable people there. But you get a site that busy, and you're guaranteed to have a reduction in overall quality. Sort of like other very busy planted forums I've been on, where frankly many people are just providing their own unsubstantiated opinions and it's hard to sift through all of that. I would prefer a slow moving forum like this one, with just a handful of really good people who don't put up with unsubstantiated statements being made willy nilly.

Henry Hatch

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2006
It's been quite a number of years since I've been in the salt side of the hobby so I'm out of date. If I was going to get back into it and was looking for a good forum I would go to a person I know who is a successful salt water aquarist. I would ask what forums he or she uses and who on that forum knows their business.

You're right about some of the forums being so big that's it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. When I first got into plants I did a lot of lurking first. It didn't take too long to figure out who was who. Also be sure and look at the FAQ sections if the forum has them. They tend to be put together by the more knowedgabl people.

Start with someone you trust and build a network of contacts.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Henry

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks. I have a couple of very well recommended books on the way, which should give me a good basis from which to start weeding through information. This is the final frontier.....exciting, but bittersweet in a way.

Henry Hatch

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2006
Look at the publication dates of the books. If they are more than 2 -3 yrs old a lot of information may be out dated. Things in the marine aquarium world are moving very fast because in relative terms compared to freshwater it's a new hobby.

How many books on keeping planted tanks still warn about nitrates and phosphates ?

suep

Prolific Poster
Jul 10, 2007
I like these sites:

Talkingreef

esp for the podcasts, basically tries to be Hobbyist Helping Hobbyist

Forums

esp for the TEAM Marine Depot forums, for Eric Borneman, Kelly Jedlicki, Dr Shimek, Dr Marini, Steven Pro...

Clams Direct

esp for really excellent advice about clams, they seem to be down right now but keep trying, they're worth it!

suep

Prolific Poster
Jul 10, 2007
BTW - I'm no expert but I've got two salt water tanks (3, if you count the quarantine tank at the moment). Feel free to send me an email whenever. I'll probably be able to point you in the right direction, at least.

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Great, got lots of reading to do! I've already waded through many of those articles on Reef Central. What I find a bit daunting is that much of the information is geared towards actual reef tanks, which I'm not planning on having, at least right now. So sifting out the differences when reading a generic article about "reef" tanks, and trying to figure out whether it applies to a fish only tank, is a bit more difficult. But having a background in planted tanks sure helps a lot, especially when it comes to chemistry, which I imagine would be overwhelming to someone who hadn't already absorbed a lot about the chemistry of planted tanks.

tcmfish

Junior Poster
Jun 5, 2008
Start Breeding marine fish and check out MOFIB or marinebreeder.org. Maybe your in an area that you can collect wild plankton and will be able to raise quite a few species and if not there are clowns and dotties and quite a few others. I just got into the planted tanks but have been doing marine for years and like reefcentral as mentioned and MOFIB is good. More people need to breed the fish. It is also a slower moving forum which you said you like. Well good luck.