I hate ADA aqua soil

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I spent 4 days redoing a massive tank that never had the optical clarity that I felt it should nor the client.

Why?
One reason and only one reason: ADA aqua soil.
We gave the stuff 7 months and it never cleared, the micro filters(4 high pressure) clogged every 5 days, the own changed the water 3-4x a week, 50% each time.
Tried every clarifyer made.

Some issues are the tank's intake is 4ft and the flow rate is 2x per hour for the filtration. So the particulates and haze never makes it up to the weir box.
No combination of spray bars and current could fix this.

You cannot walk on ADA As either, it's turns to mud, this can be vacuumed up, however, this still did not resolve a single issue.

Adding another 2000gph ran though a giant micron filter also did not stop it.
Tank was clean for about 1-2 days, then back to the same stuff.

We changes the entire 12ft x 4ft of ADA AS out, placed in plastic bags to dewater.
That took all day, from 8am, till 2 am.

I got a rash from working in the tank with ADA As once before, I though little of it, maybe dry skin etc.

No, it was that damn ADA AS. After it was replaced, I re did the tank usign Eco complete, the rash went away.

Either EC is a cure for the rash, or ADA AS gave me a rash and huge headache.
I think it's the latter.

Immediatelym, even after removing the wood, rock and redoing the entire set up, adding all those items back again, not once even rinsed the EC, and the water was clearer than it had even been. Replanting was 10x easier, I could walk on the EC. I could also see to plant in a deep tank as well.

Now in smaller tanks, I have little issue with ADA AS, but for larger tanks, I'll never use it ever again in 100 lives.

Depth, weir box intake and locations for inlets, simple maintainence/set up issues etc and let's take a look at Amano's own giant tank:

Oh my, he does not use it in there either:)
Wonder if he got a rash too?

While it does grow plants easier/better for smaller tanks, I think the trade off is not worthwhile on such larger display tanks.

I do like that you can mound it and it'll stay put a bit easier than other substrates, but when you look through longer tanks and use a lot of it in larger tanks, it can be very problematic.

BTW, if anyone in the LA region wants to buy 18 liter scaks for 30$ out the door of semi used ADA AS, PM me.

Rainbow Pet shop will have it and is selling it for me as a favor.

Regards,
Tom Barr

yme

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
just for the record: what do you consider as "too big for ADA AS"?

greets,

yme

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
see we need you to create a new substrate after all. something as soft as AS that doesn't break stems, but without the cloudy water and the rash. ugh.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
A tank that is hard to clean or access (scaping, moving anything etc) is too big.

So that's about arm's length.

Regards,
Tom Barr

blackBRUSHalgae

Junior Poster
Nov 7, 2006
I believe hard water will cause ADA soil to cloud the water constantly. That is the very reason why they release a new version of ADA soil.

fish_lover0591

Junior Poster
Dec 26, 2006
blackBRUSHalgae;16138 said:
I believe hard water will cause ADA soil to cloud the water constantly. That is the very reason why they release a new version of ADA soil.

I heard about that also i'm lucky to have softwater :) since it means the clouding goes away quickly in about a week or less. I only used AS in a 10 gallon so far but i may use it in my 20 gallon. If tom was going to ship it i would probably buy some from him.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
blackBRUSHalgae;16138 said:

That made not one bit of difference here though............we have both RO and tap, there was no difference at all.

None.
That was after 6 + months of various combos and trials.
Nothing worked.

Regards,

Tom Barr

Bros Stack Rum

Junior Poster
Apr 21, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that the "Aquasoil only has problems in alkaline water" claim is sort of ADA's way of "covering up" the problems that Aqua Soil has been having lately. I mean, they're not going to release Aqua Soil II and say, "Lots of people have problems with the original Aquasoil causing cloudiness and turning to mud, so here's the fix!"

I'd be curious to see how Aqua Soil II would have worked instead of Eco Complete as the final solution for you Tom. Of course, it's not available yet, but apparently it will be "soon" - http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...up/39169-when-will-aqua-soil-amazonia-ii.html

http://www.adana.co.jp/index_e.php

Release of "Aqua Soil Amazonia II"

Aqua Soil Amazonia has been used by many planted aquarium hobbyists around the world, as base substrate material for growing aquatic plants. Aqua Soil Amazonia is produced from black soil with rich organic substances, helping the plant growth, and most aquatic plant species can grow in healthy condition with Amazonia. But, in the alkaline base water*, there are rare case reports that organic substance such as humic acid may seep into the water, and cause water coloring or cloudiness.

So this time Aqua Design Amano introduced "Aqua Soil-Amazonia II", a new Amazonia type substrate, produced with different black soil mixture ratio, preventing water coloring or cloudiness. As the base color or plant growing pattern is different from existing lines, we continuously market Aqua Soil Amazonia. Please select according to your needs and preference. But if your base water* is alkaline, we recommend to use Amazonia II.

*Base Water refers to all types of water used for the aquarium, including tap water, groundwater, or aquarium tank water.

Distinctive FEATURE of "Aqua Soil-Amazonia II"
1. Amazonia II has less incident of water coloring or cloudiness.
2. It contains black soil, appropriate for water plants growth, and its natural color matches well with planted aquarium.
3. It lowers pH and KH, and makes ideal water condition for most plants and tropical fish.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I can assure you that there is absolutely no way I'll ever use it again on large tank as the substrate, neither I nor a client would be willing to.

ADA AS II would not have solved the issues from what I've seen either.

I love ADA As for smaller tanks................I still suggest it, but the trade offs in this larger tanks and the frequent water changes simply made using other methods easier at that scale.
The client really does not care about many of the plant species that are easier tio grow with ADA AS.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
DO you clean the ADA AS when doing water changes? I have AS and do not vacuum the gravel. My AS has been in my tank for about 13 weeks. No probs with clarity.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No.

BTW, I have a dozen tanks with ADA As without issues as well.
It's just too large of tank to deal with the ADA AS.

Regards,
Tom Barr

underwurlde

Junior Poster
Dec 26, 2006
UK, Hants. New Forest
How would you make a commercial substrate?

Soil, boil, sand, & a pinch of KNO3, KH2PO4, CaCO3. Sprinkle in some peat and perhaps Laterite for good measure and then leave it out to dry. Oh, & then add some twigs for that good inner 'organic' feeling?

Andy

Dave Spencer

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2007
Regarding your rash Tom, I have a new 60cm set up using ADA AS Amazonia powder, and I have noticed that if I have any kind of cut or abrasion on my hand when I dip it in to the water, I get a tingling sensation. It almost feels like a tiny electric shock.

That aside, I have found my water clarity to be perfect apart from a slight yellowish tinge in the first week. ADA AS is also superb for adding steep slopes that will stay put, making it ideal for aquascapes outside of gently sloping substrates.

Dave.

Naja002

Prolific Poster
Apr 15, 2006
I've tried AS once and I am not happy at all with the outcome. I still have it and will probably try it again---but I won't be recommending it! :p

BUKHOV

Junior Poster
Oct 1, 2005
Here six months as I have started the tank on 165 gal. For a ground I used Power Send and Aqua Soil Amazonia. It absolutely agree with Tom about that that next time I many times shall think before I shall take for a ground materials ÀÄÀ.Ïîñàäêà of plants simply pleasure and if it is necessary to pull out so it simply punishment. The dust from a ground costs 2-3 days, notwithstanding what there is a powerful filtration. I have no anything against production ÀÄÀ.Substrat very well works. But next time at start I from above shall give a layer of 2-3 sm thickness quartz or other sand. I think of purchase Diatom filter. There can be it will help me at change aquascape with the future. Jury.

B

Brian20

The rash, dry skink or tiny cuts is only the acid. I work with a pH 4 clay for my tanks and I use gloves because it make rash and dry skin on hand very quickly.

smack

Junior Poster
Aug 7, 2010
I use 27lts of aquasoil in a 300lt tank. water was cloudy for the first 4weeks. added seachem purigen to the cannister and the water was crystal clear within 2 weeks

scrupie

Junior Poster
May 27, 2007
Tried the ADA , and all I had was a mess, Mixed it with some good old Florida Soil (rock hard) Grows Tomatoes great. Other junk (can be seen in my blog) is also junk, Florite Red, stuff is like boulders. BEST EC Black have it in 28 gal 5 yrs and its still going strong. After get some feed back on blog out goes the the RED. Have 2 new bags for sale 40 lbs. plus 100 lbs coming out. Want to build a patio !!!!!!!

bsmith782

Guru Class Expert
Mar 14, 2007
St.Louis, MO
After following your advice in my tank Tom which was to lightly vacuum the top of the AS and since I have switched to RO water I have no complaints about it being a crumbly mess. My tank now has crystal clear water with little to no sediment on the leaves of my plants.