This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hygrophila Salicifolia..what Is The Truth?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Stan510, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    12:51 PM
    Is it blue? Does it get willow like leaves to fit the rest of the common name" Willow leafed blue Hygro" ? I have yet to see a photo of one with as much as a obvious blue tint. Maybe positive thinking on one photo I saw...all others were of strongly green plants.
    I need faster,hardier,larger aquarium plants to make an impression in the 240 gallon. I do remember Hygrophila corymbosa from the 80's or 90's looked great...but did get pinholes and would get chlorotic as the soil nutrients dissolved away and water changes did the rest.
    BUT! now,I'm on to iron and potassium,so don't expect much problems. I'm just not sure what its going to look like when it gets out of the immersed lanceolate leaves it came with.

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:51 PM
    Really, still on Fe kick?
    Grinding up tablets for K, I'll bet?
    Your Fe boasting has grown old with many here too.

So you want some large plants to make a statement?
    Hygrophila augustifolia willow and staurogyne bihar would be my choices.

3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Really..its not boasting when you back it up. I don't tell people "Oh you have a Co2 system? I keep hearing that over and over you need one,its so old"
    Sure IF i need to grind a potassium pill.
    Did I tell you I worked in both Natural Sciences for a Museum and biological sciences for a local University as Greenhouse and horticultural manager?
    See,I post about a plant.asking for others experiences..and you hear boasting? I have yet to boast or harass anybody.
    Diana Walstad is a nice person..but dirt tanks are a fantasy. Whenever you see Amano spread some dry fertilizer to a tank he set up?..thats so temporary that soon you are left to use additives..like iron or Co2 to keep plants going.
    Amazing how many people think their drop of water is a real closed natural system. Its not..its as artificial as hydroponics because it's the same thing.
    Michael was doing the all the harassment because he didn't want any opinion that wasn't his. Now,I found a Tom Barr mention that even says IG will grow Swords like crazy..not a quote. IF one of his mods wants to say IG doesn't do what I say it does..let them. Their opinion that's wrong.
    Now..you wanted this to go back to IG. It did.

4. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    ...now look at what I have created and admire my greatness!...that might be boasting.

5. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Did you bother to look @ the two stems I recommended?

bshenanagins likes this.
  6. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hygro angustifolia is one of my favorite plants, flows so nicely in the current and Has long beautiful green leaves. Grew best for me with CO2 but it does just fine without it, just make sure it has plenty of light exposure.

Stan510 and Phishless like this.
  7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I thought one of the descriptions of H. salicifolia was that it had long leaves also. Here's the sellers photo-
    I did look PHISH and B..great plants,but I have what I have..I always like the large leafed Hygro's. H.angustifolia might be added later.

mail (1).jpg

8. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Here's a short video of it in the back of this tank. Its not as long or thin as H.angustifolia but will do for the duration. Stem plants are not forever like clumping plants. Unless your the Lisbon tank and they have hundreds of pounds of gravel below their roots.
    Anubias tank loaded with loaches and rainbowfish - YouTube

Tags: