Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia'

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
I have hygrophila augustifolia in my 29 gallon tank and am seeing pinholes on old and new leaves, and wilting of older leaves. I have been dosing:

1/4 tsp KNO3 x3/week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 x3/week
5 ml Flourish x3/week
Fe EDTA 1/32 tsp x5/week (mainly for Mayaca, which still is looking yellow at this level)
GH Booster 1/4 tsp during WC (50% once a week) for Ca/Mg.
5 ml Excel daily

Substrate is EC. Lighting is 1 tube of T5HO about 3 inches from the water surface. Filter is Eheim Ecco 2232 pointed at surface. Also have one Hydor Koralia Nano 425, which until today was on the opposite side of the tank from the hygrophila keeping the flow focused on it. I have since moved it over the top of the hygrophila, focusing the flow on the mayaca on the opposite side.

Should I increase my dose of KNO3? or pursue another solution? Also, unrelated, how effective can Fe EDTA be in water with high pH/gH/kH? Should I switch to DTPA?

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Pinholes in Hygro's are mostly caused by a K+ deficiency. Every time I get below a 5 ppm K2SO4 dosage on top of my KNO3, I get the same. To prevent it you could bump up your KNO3 dosing or buy K2SO4. Add, wait and see.

regards,
dutchy

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
I agree. Hygrophila are one of the first to show this kind of definciency. I had the same with the polysperma when I just start this tank.
Just add some K2SO4.

I love the augustifolia. Some fellow aquarian has send me some Hygrophila corymbosa, I am very exited about that :)