This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hydroponically Grown Anubias Nursery

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Crapu, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Crapu

Crapu Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:00 AM
    Hello!

I need some help on a fertilization issue and not only.

I am planning to make a small anubias nursery using a hydroponic system. I read Keith Roberto's How to Hydroponics. I found the "Lettuce Raft System" as the most appropriate for growing anubiases emersed.

Now the problem is the composition of the nutrient solution. Do I use a nutrient solution that is designed for hydroponic growth or do I use a solution that has the concentration of nutrients as in the aquarium? Roberto gave in the book 3 recipes for DIY nutrient solutions: one for vegetative, one for flowering and one for fruiting growth. These are designed for all kinds of plants, I guess... mainly vegetables. I believe that if I were to use one of these, it would have to be the vegetative one.

Now this one has the NPK ratio of 9,5-5,67-11,3. It is made of:
    Ca(NO3)2
    KNO3
    K2SO4
    KH2PO4
    MgSO4
    7% Fe TE solution

Is this one good for my goal?

Another issue is on choosing the right light for the system. I'm not planning to use Metal Halide, but regular aquarium fluorescent light. Which should I use? I thought about using Osram Floura. Is it good for Hydroponics? Is there another better? Which one?

Did anybody try to build a aquatic plant nursery using hydroponics?

Thanks a lot for all your input. This disscussion will be very helpfull

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    6:00 AM
    Veg growth as that is your goal, fairly simple answer, but you already answered it yourself:)

Pest(white fly, Aphids etc) and enough humidity is about the hardest part.

Regards,
    Tom Barr