Hydrogen Peroxide for Algae Control?

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
You Were, What 15?

Tom Barr;45662 said:
Back in the day when I still was less clear about Barley straw than I am today.
10 years ago, was it really that long ago?

Regards,
Tom Barr

Sooo... you must have been, what , 15 when you wrote that.:D

Talked to a guy at the ag extension office...

H2O2 is approved for various 'finned fish' applications, I think one of the links I gave has roughly the same information. I know Biollante uses H2O2 on fingerlings prior to quarentine for his tasty critters aquaculture.

ag guy said 'he thought maxium long tem dose was 120 or 130 ppm" but remember this is for 'finned fish'.

H2O2 is more potent than chlorine bleach, higher oxidation, so in a sense perhaps more dangerous, though H2O2 is less ‘persistant and easily removed or broken down by agitation/aeration.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Sodium percarbonate is popular and used for ponds,m good for removig n algae off rocks etc.

Turns to H2O2.
Used in ponds, laundry etc.

Not real good for aquariums though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi,

I am on my second day treatment with h2o2 (2ml/g), the bba it's turning pink and most of it is almost gone but, I got a little ammonia spike (0.15). I also used Metricide 14 for the last 6 months. I should also mention that yesterday I did a 70% wc and change all the mechanical media in my filters. Goldies and plants are OK. Should I do a small wc or leave it like this until my next weekly wc ? These are 1.5 years old well established tanks. All the other water parameters are OK.

edit
Sorry, I also changed the bio media (Eheim Substrat Pro). I am just wondering if h2o2 can affect the healthy bacteria.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
jonny_ftm;45619 said:
Hi,

I think that forgetting these products is the best you can do. Quiet any tank can be recovered curing the root cause, without redoing the tank

Before:

lys83njsb26bhrkwqd-p1040513.jpg

3 months later

Despite the last photo is not a close up, I can promise you there's no algae trace and I have some closeups of all plants in this photo posted in another topic here

Most plants are the same, only pruned to accelerate the algae battle.

Hi jonny_ftm ,

My wife would like to know the name of the red plant in the mid ground and the brownish one in the back ground right corner. Thanks.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I tried it for some vals instead of the Excel.
Worked well as logn as you are careful and not think more is better.

Just let it do its thing and kill the algae slowly over time.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
barbarossa4122;60921 said:
Hi jonny_ftm ,

My wife would like to know the name of the red plant in the mid ground and the brownish one in the back ground right corner. Thanks.

Red mid ground: Alternanthera Cardinalis and on the right back is a Ludwigia sp, although this a not a brown plant.

regards,
dutchy