This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrogen Peroxide and Vals melting.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tanan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. tanan

tanan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:25 AM
    Hey everyone
    A while ago I had some over dosing of CO2. So to enrich the water with Oxygen, I dosed 15-20ml of H2O2 (6%) in my tank and did a water change in 30 minutes. Since the tank only had plants and nerites, I thought of keep doing the H2O2 dosing to kill off some green hair algae on my java moss. I did the same 15-20 ml dosing for 3 days and then I noticed that the green algae was gone and so was my vals torta and most of my H. glomeratus. Now I have started to get a bit BBA and I'm thinking of H2O2 dosind. I'm worried that it might kill my vals and H.glomeratus completely if I start dosing again. Any suggestions/ opinions/ Ideas? I've a 35G tank with no CO2 and temp at 30C. The lights are 3x23watt 6500K CFLs and 1x36Watt 8000K PIL.

2. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    When you need H2O2 that often you might be better off fixing the root of the problem. H2O2 must be a last resort for fixing algae problems. I did it a lot in the past. Thinking that by killing the last algae, they wouldn't come back. But you can just let the algae sit there and improve water parameters and algae will wither away. For example for BBA: you might have too much light, or too much organics (read: dirty tank). To keep it away you need to make sure your tank is pristine! Remove every dead leave everyday, do not feed too much (99% of the people overfeed!) Do regular large water changes, and if this still doesn't work, reduce light. If it doesn't grow anymore, you can use H2O2 to remove but it will wither away after a few weeks if water is pristine.

3. Linds

Linds Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I can't comment on the H2O2 but I will say that if you have an overdose of CO2 then adding Oxygen doesn't help, you need to get rid of CO2. A high concentration of CO2 does not effect the concentration of O2. You can put in as much oxygen as you like and your fish will still die.

The reason fish etc die is because of another set of chemical reactions that make it hard for them to extract O2 from the water. If you want to get rid of CO2 agitate the water's surface to allow it to exchange into the air. Or do a water change.

Linds

4. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Not true, aeration will drive off CO2, but only when done with an air pump. The extra surface aggitation is what is removing the CO2. Adding oxygen as H2O2 won't do anything for CO2 indeed.

No offense Tanan, but your using the wrong tools;) Lower the amount of light and learn to grow plants that way first. This way everything is not in overdrive mode. When you are succesful, perhaps you can increase light.